Win 7 Update

For the past week , on shutting vdown I hyave had the message about loadingv updates 1 of 1, however there is no sign of of the update being installeed. As I said this behaviour has continued for several days. Anyone any ideas (OS is Win 7 Pro)

Comments involving Linux would not be helpful

TIA

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Go into windows update, and have a look at the update history. You may find that an update is failing. It will also tell you which one, which is the first step to fixing it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Occasionally windows update gets confused, you can nuke it and start from scratch ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have a look at the updates log. I often find this sort of thing is perhaps for an office package that is now no longer supported but an update is made for it assuming, for example that it has a service pack installed when it in fact does not, making the update fail. Get Belarc Advisor installed, look at the missing updates section and read the microsoft bulletins for the failing ones. If you can do nothing about it, you can still hide update to stop them being installed in the security centre in windows 7 much as you did in xp, except of course there is no web based downloader in 7 its all done behind the scenes. I see many failures like this and it will keep on attempting to install these if its not given a quick belt around the update centre, so to speak. You might be able to find any missing service packs available for manual download, but be warned installing one usually makes loads of other updates suddenly appear as well! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had this problem for ages on one machine and then it eventually occurred on another. The steps on the following link (Option 1) cured it and normal service resumed.

For all I know, some of the steps may not be necessary, but I followed the instructions to the letter and it worked, so did not bother experimenting.

Regards.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs