Win 7 or XP?

I'm crossing my fingers but I disabled updates on my 7 laptop when MS was force-feeding 10. I've re-enabled them after the 'free' upgrade ended and so far it's not nagging me or downloading 10 just in case.

One thing to watch out for is they backported the customer telemetry crap to 7. You can turn all of it off but them might turn it back on again with the next 'important' update. They use the Pelosi technique -- install it to find out what is in it.

Reply to
rbowman

I use Gimp as an example of how not to design a UI but, not having Photoshop, I do use it. Some people like it but I'm not a fan of littering the desktop with about 15 different windows.

Reply to
rbowman

You do know there is no support from MSN now for XP, correct?

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Speaking as a programmer, we tell our clients that if they want to run XP, so far our software will run on it but there are no guarantees that will be the case with new releases.

The problem comes with having to test an entire software suite with an OS that even the manufacturer doesn't support. The Android products are the same. We're not going to lock ourselves into six year old code just because a few people still have 2.3 devices. I do a special build so I can run on my old 4.0.4 tablet and it more or less works. However we can't ship something more or less.

Reply to
rbowman

A quick look at:

says Photoshop 2017 is rated Gold. So looks like you can use Photoshop under Linux.

There are a lot of online tutorials.

Reply to
Dan Espen

If you use new API call, the app isn't going to run. No reason to force anything. It's no different than if I add a new call to one of our dll's. Older software that doesn't depend on the new call still works. New software linked against the new lib won't run with the old dll.

It's not a lazy choice. The world moves on. We're not going to use multiple source branches, builds, documents, and test protocols to support those living in the past.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm developing a browser based map that will not run on XP. The base maps are content provided by ESRI and to render the map functions are called that are not available on XP. I believe it has to do with OpenGL acceleration but I would have to look at the error to refresh my memory.

In this case ESRI is the content provider and there is nothing I can do to make it work.

I believe IE can be upgraded to some extent but I'm not going to limit myself because a prehistoric IE version can't handle modern Javascript. I don't use IE so I may have the versions wrong but either 6 or 7 had a pitiful engine that would take 20 times as long to render a page a Chrome or Firefox. To put that in real terms, the user experience really sucked. The new Chakra engine is competitive but you're not going to see than on XP.

Reply to
rbowman

Yres it will function just fine without even a network connection - muchless an internet connection

It will work just fine.

Reply to
clare

I use IE11 on Win10 Pro. It comes installed but not "enabled". Very simple to set up - Edge is basically trial-ware - not ready for prime time yet.

I use Firefox where IE11 does not do the job - I find Chrome to be bloated.

Reply to
clare

It's not all the fault of your browser. There seems to be an abundance of poorly written websites lately. But once again, it's the same story. They put so much bloat and crap on the sites that they cant possibly work properly anymore. The news media sites are the worst of all.

What ever happened to websites that were simply HTML (text) and some pictures??? It seems like the content has dimninished in favor of flashy looks and excessive advertising....

Even on my cellphone, I seem to get sites that are completely blank, and those are the ones that always take the longest to load. That's most annoying! (Many of them begin with HTTPS too, (secured). I can understand security on sites where we enter credit cards and so on, but why sites like Wikipedia are using all HTTPS now, makes little sense to me.

Reply to
cruiser

GIMP is a pain in the ass. I use it though. I do ADORE Inkscape. Use GIMP for screen shots and then paste into Inkscape

Try Inkscape as a sub for Photoshop

Newer versions of Gimp have the option of consolidating everything into a single window.

Reply to
Roger Blake

My windows machines are in Virtual Machines (VM) (qemu-kvm). Except for Windows Nein (W10), where I have to see what idiot update is happening "today", I turn off Windows' Idiot updates. What an absolute pain-in-the-ass. I keep gold copies of my vm's in case Windows does the Windows thing. I go love being able to test some trash out in an VM, then overwrite the VM/s hard drive with my gold copy.

I surf from my base machine, which is a Red Hat clone. My VM's have very restrictive Internet access or none at all.

I have windows 10 working well on a few machines that came with XP and were "iffy" with Win7. Boots faster, and works better on the "marginal" computers - including an Acer NetBook - of all things.

I think the "kernal" is smaller and more efficient on W10 than it was on 7 when yoiu turn off all the "ET CALL HOME" crap. I wouldn't switch my home systems back to 7 pro from 10 pro - that is for SURE.

Reply to
clare

Don't know when I last needed OS support on XP - so that's not an issue for myself - but not being able to run the latest browsers, and a whole ot of incompatabilities with new programs has convinced me. I still have about 30 XP machines running in the plant (no internet connection - only dedicated database application - which are being replaced with win7 machines when they fail. We have a stack of off-lease Lenovos sitting in wait - some that we bought for the purpose, and others that came from the plant the company took over and closed in Toronto.

Reply to
clare

HTML5 / CCS3 won't work on early browsers. People use HTML5 and CCS3 on websites to make them work properly on mobile devices like I-Phones.

Reply to
clare

Firefox is still a popular browser. ESR build is still getting updates on XP.

Well, the thing for me is this...I have vlk edition of XP. I'm not entirely sure I have what amounts to vlk edition of Windows 7. And, that makes all the difference in the world for me.

Reply to
Diesel

The majority of my workstations have been converted to linux, but, a few are still Windows based. I do have a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine on the network, but, neither of them are vlk like. Whereas the XP machines are. That's important to me. The XP machines are still doing what I ask of them, but, I realize should one suffer major hardware failure I likely won't be able to have all the new components in a new system running under XP. It's possible thanks to a couple of large driver database packages, but, not guaranteed.

I don't disagree.

Reply to
Diesel

Yes. I described the process for XP. Windows 7+ isn't that much different in that respect. It's keyed to an ID string.

Ehm, not exactly. they have a vendor ID string and a contract with said vendor. On preactivated copies of Windows running on a name brand machine, it's keyed to an ID string. They don't keep track of each make/model in that setup, no.

OTH, If you buy a copy of Windows 7+ and activate it yourself, then, it will have some information about your hardware as that's used in the activation process. I do not know if MS actually keeps the information or not, though.

Not exactly. See above. If the vendor ID string is the same on the other machine, you won't have an activation issue. It'll already be activated for your convenience. If the vendor ID string no longer matches, you'll be going through verification, yes.

That depends on whether or not the new copy is retail/oem or 'branded/keyed'. You can technically use the same dvd and create whatever flavor of the aforementioned you need by swapping a few files out, but.. I digress.

If you bought the PC new and it came with Windows, you most likely (if it's a name brand box) didn't have to do any activation dance. It was ready to go when you fired it up. If it's a custom built clone, it's been preactivated for you, but, since the OS isn't keyed to the hardware in the name brand way, you can cause the product activation routines to trip. IE: move your copy of Windows to another machine. Or, make what it deems are too many hardware changes.

Reply to
Diesel