Why do I keep expecting the borgs to satisfy me?

As part of my shed wiring project, I was looking at choices for weatherproof boxes for my receptacles and cable TV jack. I wanted boxes that weren't so obtrusive - I didn't want to mount those grey weatherproof boxes that Home Depot and Lowes carry on the exterior wall, I wanted something with less of a profile.

I found this on the web, which is perfect since my wires come up inside the shed and the only part of the box that is exposed is the cover and flange. Easy installation inside and low profile outside - the best of both worlds.

So I took the picture to both Home Depot and Lowes and not only didn't they carry anything like that, they didn't know where to get them. I stopped at an Aubuchon Hardware while on a road trip last weekend and they didn't carry them either. (Aubuchon Hardware is a chain of about

130 hardware stores spread throughout the northeast.

Yesterday I went to a local lighting design center that has a "contractor's counter" in the back. I showed the counter guy the picture and he immediately asked "New work or old, white cover or clear?"

$20 later and I was back in my car with 2 boxes so I can complete the project this weekend.

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's probably it. I'll work on lowering them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The "borg" supplies crap to homeowners and "handymen" who aren't professional builders...

Professional builders and tradesmen know where to go in any given area to a real supply house to get (wait for it) supplies...

Useful supplies, not the common consumer crap in five flavors that the "borg" gets a deal on to stock from the manufacturer...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Except that lot's of "professionals" shop at the borgs, perhaps out of convenience. Are all of those pickup trucks and trailers with signs on the side in the HD parking lot just "handymen" and homeowners?

The "contractor counters" that I spoke of are few and far between in a lot of areas. In fact, the one I went to used to have a location right down the block from the borg, within a couple of miles of my home. Blame it on the economy or whatever, but they consolidated their 2 locations to the one that is inconvenient for me to get to. When I first moved in and was doing a lot more upgrading, I went to the "counter" more often than not. If they were closer to me, I'd have gone there first this time, but as it is their limited hours and location make the borgs much more convenient - until I need something "special".

Trust me, I know all about the supply houses - bought all of my windows and doors at a Norandex Reynolds location and most most of my plumbing supplies come from the counter in the back of a bath and kitchen design center. However, just like the electrical parts counter, none of these locations are very convenient to get to when I need one or two of this or that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

For the same reason a slots player keeps putting the nickel in the one-armed bandit, because sometimes you get a good payday that leaves you walking tall, and makes you forget about all the other times you were sold an overpriced cheap piece of Chinese plastic that never really worked right.

It's what they count on, and it's what keeps the money flowing in the front door.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Nope, quite a few are small tradesmen, a couple might be small g.c.'s, Borgs locate near homes. Tradesmen work on homes. Tradesmen often need a couple of connectors, or a vent cover, or a box of sandpaper. Borgs are convenient for that.

The buildiing suppliers locate in industrial areas where land is a little cheaper. They seldom have more than a couple of pickups in their parking lot. Builders phone, fax or email their orders in, the supplier delivers on site, the builder cuts a cheque every month.

I'm probably fairly typical, My spending at Borgs amounts to something like six or seven percent of my spending on materials and supplies.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

There is one but it's pretty disappointing.

Reply to
krw

Because someday Lucy really will hold the football so Charlie Brown can kick it?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

EXACTLY..Both have their place...Home Depot has saved my butt more than once on the weekend or evening but I get "special" stuff like my new windows at the the window and door place in the industrial park...As to your comment about why you keep going to the so called borg , which you seem to have such disdain for , and expecting to have your hand held and finding stuff only pros usually need..The following quote comes to mind...The defination of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time....LOL...Or it could just be time for the monthly bash big boxes thread...LOL...

Reply to
benick

It was a rhetorical question in response to "The "borg" supplies crap to homeowners and "handymen" who aren't professional builders... "

Not in all cases. My favorite plumbing supply and my favorite electrical supply counters are in the back of design centers in high end shopping plazas. Always lots of pick-up and panel trucks parked out back and lot's of contractors inside. Both supply houses have rear lots and entrances so the counter-customers don't have to walk through the design centers.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Where did I say I expected to have my hand held at the borg? Was it just because I *asked* if they carried anything like the in-wall box I wanted?

When I want my hand held, I go to the supply houses where they not only carry what I need but often offer suggestions to make the project easier.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Instead of arguing with me, telling me I need Cat5E cable to connect a digital phone (Nortel Northstar) when all 28 extentions in the building were connected with single twisted pair cable, and I was just re-locating one. Like the joker at the Borg. I finally just asked "are you going to sell me the wire I asked for, or do I have to drive across town to buy it?"

Reply to
clare

Where did I say I expected to have my hand held at the borg? Was it just because I *asked* if they carried anything like the in-wall box I wanted?

When I want my hand held, I go to the supply houses where they not only carry what I need but often offer suggestions to make the project easier.

No Derby , but I've been around here long enough to see so many of your "big box rants" I've lost count...Just be honest and say I need my therapy "big box rant"...We've played this game too many times...LOL...Carry on , I'll be quiet...LOL...

Reply to
benick

It is called a bell curve. The Borg, like other mass-market retailers, carry most of the items in some middle slice of the bell curve, and very little from the end part of the curves. They base it on available floor/shelf space, and what moves and how fast. People get college degrees in figuring out this stuff. That is why, when the Borg open a new location, after the first 90-120 days, the mix of stuff on sale usually changes. They are fine-tuning it based on the local market.

A supply house, on the other hand, HAS to cater to the oddball stuff, or risk losing repeat business from tradesmen. They will either have it in stock (at least a few of them), or have a supply chain where they can get it quickly. And since the back room is not open to the public, they don't have to worry about wide aisles and displaying for self-service selection. They can dense-pack in bins and stacks of boxes, and go directly to the pick location based on the location their cheat sheet (or these days a computer) tells them to go to. 80/20 rule applies- 80% of sales will be the same 20% of items, so for those they keep a good stock on hand, and keep them easy to find.

Reply to
aemeijers

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

Reply to
krw

The correct reply is, "There ought to be an App for that.".

Reply to
krw

I think he's got it!

Reply to