Why are these CRT TVs are selling for so much money?

How come these CRT TVs are selling for so much money? $72 - 180, plus or at least including substantial shipping cost. I thought they were worth no more than $25 by now, and that they could be bought locally (after testing) at Goodwill or yard sales or craigslist, or that the money could pay half the cost of thin screen. ??

micky

Here's another batch

These ar called Magnavox CRT Televisions and the page I gave first was Magnavox Not Supported CRT Televisions

What do you suppose the difference is.... Oh, "Smart TV Features: Not Supported"

But I'm sure the second batch doesn't support Smart TV either. Does any CRT support it? It's just that those who listed the ones in the second batch didn't bother to mention what iiuc everyone knows.

Reply to
micky

Asking price isn't selling price.

Looking at some of the descriptions they state good for gaming. LCD TVs don't have a screen response as fast as a CRT.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Unless they have a specialized use, I don't see it selling. Goodwill won't even take them anymore.

A couple of years ago our Wal Mart had a 19" RCA they could not sell for $40.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The weird thing is still I have one of these Magnevox 20"

They want $169 and I only paid $99 for mine, new in the box. Maybe I should list it and buy a 32" flat screen in a super bowl sale.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nobody said they are selling for those prices - just that someonrthinks they are worth it.

Around here you pretty much can't give away anything with a crt - computer or monitor - except CGA monitors or RGB monitors for old game consoles. I keep one around for my vintage Radio Shack CoCo computer.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

All we know is they are listed for that price, not that they are actually selling.

Reply to
Dove Tail

You can go to advanced search and select "sold" The high seemed to be "Disney" with ears for ~$150 but $50 or so is common plus shipping. A few went for pennies ... plus shipping. I didn't look past the first page.

Reply to
gfretwell

If it works, it works.

LOL.

A friend moving abroad gave me one yesterday. The thing is so big, I thought the screen was 23 or 25" but when I dl'd the manual I saw that it was only 20. it's still awfully big.

But it has a DVD player and a VCR. For complicated reasons, I haven't been able to play either for a while, so I'm happy to have it.

I have two broken CRT 20" and one 14" that the sound goes out on once in a while, and I have to hit it to make the sound work. Just like in the old jokes. BestBuy now charges 20 or 25 to take them so there is only one place that will take them for recycling and that is 20 or 30 miles away in the next county.

Reply to
micky

I did notice the gaming mentioned, but I didn't know why it mattered. That explains it.

Reply to
micky

Another reason is a LOT of the new flat panels no longer support composite video input - which a lot of the classic game consoles require (unless you want to fool around with RF converters)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Gaming makes a lot of sense. While most of us are enjoying 96" Super Ultra HD sets, a gamer is interested in nanosecond response times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

OTOH, I understand that dogs can watch tv on LCD sets and usually couldn't with CRTs.

Reply to
micky

How would an RF converter help. They output NTSC and new TVs only have digital tuners.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am not sure if it is the dog or the TV but mine is fascinated with the TV when any animal shows up.

Reply to
gfretwell

Please don't leaves us hanging like that. I love complicated explanations.

Reply to
Mike_Duffy

My brother's dog would go nuts with some TV images, like birds. My dog does not notice a cat right in front of him on TV, but he can spot one out the window a block away and goes berserk.

What I think makes the difference is that some breeds have a foveal streak and some a foveal spot.

I have both CRT and flat screen TVs but my dog can't see either.

Reply to
TimR

Every flat screen TV in my house has both NTSC and ATSC tuners (digital and analog) (but then they are ALL over 10 years old, except for the 5 year old monitor that has a TV Tuners built in)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

that's the way to do it.

Until I bought the new cell phone, I didn't own anything that cost more than $100 that wasn't more than 10 years old.

And my "new" magnavox tv, it turns out it eats videotapes.

It plays DVDs well, but darn, there were ads for other movies first. I

*paid* for the DVD but still they make it play ads first. I think I could FF through part of it.
Reply to
micky

I bet they also have AV inputs and a 15 pin connector.

Reply to
gfretwell