Who is responsible for the meter

AIUI the usual rule is that the water company is responsible for all the pipes up to the meter and the homeowner is responsible for all the pipes from the meter to the house and in the house.

But who is responsible for leaks in the meter itself?

Deposit: $1,600.00 Completion: $2,000.00 Replace water meter in vault

Reply to
micky

What did your water utility tell you when you called and asked them?

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

If it breaks, maybe replace the meter with a short piece of 'test' pipe?

Reply to
Skid Marks

Every case I've ever been involved with or heard about, the water company is responsible for the meter. They supplied it, it's their property.

Reply to
trader_4

I don't pay the bill directly and I don't know who they are.

Reply to
micky

That changes the situation. If it is a private well, or splitting after the water utility, the meter may be privately owned.

Where I worked, my company owned the building and sublet portions of it. We put in meters and billed them their portion of the water, gas, electric. We charged the same rate we paid. There are some laws covering what you can do with that.

Reply to
Ed P