Who is responsible for replacing the Utility Meter box?

I had an electrician working at my house over the weekend, and he noticed t hat the metal box that houses the electric utility meter is rusted and when he looked closer the entire bottom of the box is rusted out. He said that he can replace it for $800. It seems to me that this box is the property of the utility company, do they have an responsibility for replacing it? Thanks

Reply to
martinabden

that the metal box that houses the electric utility meter is rusted and wh en he looked closer the entire bottom of the box is rusted out. He said tha t he can replace it for $800. It seems to me that this box is the property of the utility company, do they have an responsibility for replacing it?

Generally the equipment from the mast head (for overhead service) on is the responsibility of the property owner. The electric company just provid es the meter that plugs in. So, here you'd be responsible for it. The price sounds high, assuming that it's just the box that needs to be replaced.

Reply to
trader_4

Nope, you own it. They own the meter and perhaps the wires from street to the connections at most.

The price seems steep though. The box itself is maybe $30 to $50.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe not so steep. OP doesn't mention whether he has an overhead service drop or if it's underground service. Big difference in cost of box, labor to swap out.

If it's an overhead drop, I would agree on the overall price being on the steep side.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You're in the ball park price wise for an overhead meter box. Go north of $225 for an underground meter pedestal which it would seem to be the case for the OP

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The meter box is your property. The meter is theirs.

You pay. Period

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why would underground be so much more? Mine is underground, but it comes o ut of the ground up the side of the house to the meter box, with another conduit taking it back down and to the panel. Seems either way you have one goes into and one goes outta and it's just the meter box.

Reply to
trader_4

I had mine replaced 4 years ago and it was only $350.  Took two guys less than an hour.  This was on an underground service.

Maybe yours is so much because it's overhead and they are replacing the weather head and cable to meter?

Reply to
Bob

[snip]

I suppose the bottom line here is that we really don't know exactly what we're talking about regarding the OP's situation. Overhead vs Underground. Type of meter box/pedestal.

My comments are based upon MY underground service (200 amp) in which the meter is mounted in a pedestal which extends BELOW ground level and up the side of the house. Overall, I'd guesstimate the total height of the unit (above/below ground) to be about 5'. At least 18" of that is below ground.

To swap it out, power must be cut by the utility company at the pole (above ground at road, underground service to house) BEFORE the box is removed. Consider digging out around the pedestal for removal and replacement, reconnecting the service lines, etc and you're talking travel time and easily an hour or two on site plus the cost of the box.

I don't know how it goes in other locations, but it used to be the utility company would provide X number of feet free for new service and THEY would do the work (this was my situation 44 years ago when we built). NOW, the utility company farms it out to a 3rd party contractor or you can contract to have it done yourself, but you pay for every inch of that service drop be it aerial or underground.

I suspect too that calling in the utility to shut off the power temporarily for such work on YOUR equipment will incur another fee. These days everyone has their hand out. Speaking of which is the local building & zoning department going to require a permit and inspection.

So. . . who knows?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Here the power company furnishes the meter box to the electrician and the electrician preps it and puts it on the wall and hooks up the house side and the electric company ties their lines to the wiring coming out of the weather-head, plugs the meter in and ya got lights. The kicker here is the city now requires a min 200 amp and of course a licensed contractor/permit. 800 bucks, those nice new pickups aren't cheap and the electrician's wife likes nice new shiny things, as do the power company employee's and the city code man's. Pay the man and think of it as your way of helping keep the American Dream alive and well.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

that the metal box that houses the electric utility meter is rusted and wh en he looked closer the entire bottom of the box is rusted out. He said tha t he can replace it for $800. It seems to me that this box is the property of the utility company, do they have an responsibility for replacing it?

Why not call the power company and ask THEM who is responsible?? Even if you are, ask what THEY would charge to replace the box.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

It would be a wasted call. The box belongs to the customer, even if the PoCo gives it to you for free. (some do, just for uniformity of meter sockets) They also stop at the service point, whether that is the street on an underground service lateral or at the mast drip loop crimps on an overhead drop. They are not licensed to do any work on your equipment, even if they wanted to. The utility works under a different electrical code than the rest of the world (NESC vs NEC) so they might not even understand the rules on your side of the service point.

Reply to
gfretwell

My advice would be the same as hers. I have always understood that any utility up to the house is the suppliers responsibility outside the house. Never does any harm to ask. If they think defective box will damage their meter they should replace it.

Reply to
Frank

:

iced that the metal box that houses the electric utility meter is rusted an d when he looked closer the entire bottom of the box is rusted out. He said that he can replace it for $800. It seems to me that this box is the prope rty of the utility company, do they have an responsibility for replacing it ?

It's the overhead service wires up to the mast head with the utilities I've encountered. Makes sense, the utility doesn't want to be responsible for running conduit down the side of your house and all that goes with it. Especially when they don't have to and there are many variables affecting where the meter gets placed, how far the conduits have to be run, etc. If you let your stuff deteriorate to the point it could damage their equipment, then I'd expect they would notify you and if you don't fix it, they could cut the service off. But it would have to be pretty bad for that to happen. Also it would be rather odd for the electrician to be volunteering to replace and work on equipment that the utility actually owns. What would happen when he calls them to turn off the service?

Reply to
trader_4

I'd be very careful. The utility may send someone to look at it, deem it unsafe and pull the meter to cut the power.

After some storms here a lot of wires were down from street to house. Homeowners were responsible for the overhead to the house.

Do a Google search

Who is responsible for what? If you have overhead electrical service, you are responsible for the maintenance and repair of the following: Weatherhead and insulator Service entrance cable Meter box Main service panel National Grid is responsible for repairs to: Overhead, outside electric lines to your residence Electric meter

Ed Pawlowski

You simply understand wrong. They are responsible up to the "service point" and they own the meter but you own everything else. Usually the utility owns the drop from the pole to the connection at the house but in some cases, usually when it is a long way away they may not even own the drop. In no case I have ever seen or even heard of, do they own the service conductors attached to the house or any of the equipment there except the actual meter itself. This is a National Electrical Code thing. (based on being an electrical inspector for the last 25 years)

Reply to
gfretwell

My new box was $85 Canadian The stack may also require replacement/upgrading - or the feeder wires. Still sounds a bit on the high side though. I replaced the meter box and panel for something like $2500 - and that was a Square D QO panel with whole house surge protector - far from the cheapest available panel.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

THEY don't replace them. So they cannot give a price (at least anywhere I am familiar with)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My local poco gives a list of acceptable meter boxes, as well as a spec re size and construction. You or your electrician supply the box, and the electrician installs it. In my case the poco did not even disconnect the power. The electrician did the swap "hot". Lots of protective equipment.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have seen electricians work service conductors hot but it is rare. OTOH PoCo guys do it all the time. The electrician usually calls the PoCo and gets permission to cut the seal if the work is on the load side of the meter or to cut the drop if it is on the line side. Then they pull the meter and go. If in involves service conductors on the line side of the meter or the meter socket, the PoCo usually sends someone out to cut the drop although the electrician may do that themselves. When the work is finished the electrician might temporarily connect the drop (with Romex connectors as often as not) or they have the PoCo come out and do it when they seal the meter. They will pretty much always put on new crimps, even if you have the right connector and tools. The PoCo either wants a call from the inspector or wants to see the signed off permit. I have called them myself if an inspection required cutting a seal. No big deal.

Reply to
gfretwell