Roofing tear off

I put a bid in on a roodfing tear off for 1-2 layers on 2800 ft home. They excepted my bid so go to the address (sight unseen) and fo to work finding out that their is 3 layers, ans so i them no that the price will change. Sent them pictures of the 3 layers and explained its alot more work its also 110 outside and i could have completed the in tbe alotted amount of time had it been what they said it was 1-2 layers. Now that thejob is almost complete they do not want to pay the rest of what is owed.

Reply to
Taylor Smith

First lesson is not to bid on jobs without seeing it and what is actually involved. So, what was in this bid? Did it say that it was for 1 to 2 layers and that if there was an extra layer, it would be $xxx per layer more? When you explained that it's more work for more layers and that it would cost more, what did they say? Was that before you started work? Get that change in writing, or at least a text or email? If you have in writing that the job was for 1-2 layers and you can't get it resolved, you can sue them in small claims for the balance, assuming you don't sign anything that says they have paid you in full. A court will look at it and if you're bid says 1-2, then they will likely award you what they feel is a fair amount for the additional work. If the bid doesn't say 1-2 layers, then you're probably screwed.

Reply to
trader_4

You put in a bid not knowing the exact amount of work. You took a risk.

You won the bid, probably over somebody else who bid higher because he did do his due diligence and did know the work.

The customer accepted your bid in good faith, assuming your word was good a nd you would stand behind your bid.

Neither of you knew that would cost you money.

If you just decide to chalk it up to a learning experience, explain it to y our customer but don't raise your price, he will probably talk you up all o ver town as a good contractor. If you sue him in small claims, you will pr obably win, and he will talk you up all over town (and Facebook) as a con a rtist.

Reply to
TimR

As a homeowner I recall the experience with a contractor underestimating and wanting more. He was the only one I used and had no other estimates and I did not know costs. I did not pay him extra and he went off in a tiff.

I doubt if this one is collectable in small claims court as it was the estimators fault.

What seems strange here is job is just a roofing tear off. I would assume someone else was putting on the roof which seems strange. Also having just bought a new roof, the messiest part is the rain of nails and shingles. If the op goes off in a tiff and does not clean up, he could be sued.

Reply to
Frank

I doubt that he has anything to sue FOR - 1. he quoted a roofing job without a site visit < site unseen ! > 2. he's seeking his legal advice here in this newsgroup .... 'nuff said. John T.

Reply to
hubops

With this house I learned the legal experience early fighting with county and suing the builder and now have two lawyer sons so had to comment.

Most of the stuff from homeowners hub is a bit off the wall and often 10 years old.

Reply to
Frank

I even question whether he actually saw 3 layers - or it was 2 layers on top of the edge starter row. Many years ago - in studies about "customer complaints" - home renovation was consistently at/near the top . John T.

Reply to
hubops

About 2 years ago I had a roof replaced. Four companies came out and put in bids. Two did a rough measurment of the house, not sure about the 3 rd. One used a satalite measurment. He was the next to the lowest, but had a better quality shingle. I told him I thought he was off on his measurement of 26 squares where the other 2 esitmated 28. He said his computer was correct.

Sure enough they were short close to 2 squares. It was interisting as the head man over the roofers that came out just looked at the house and the ammout of shingles that was dropped off and he said it did not look like enough. I showed him the contract. The did not try to bill for more money as it was their fault. If they had, I probably would have refused to pay and would have let them take me to court. Being retired, it could have done that without much cost to me.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery