Which inexpensive top loader washer to buy?

Cost is an issue but need a new washer.

What brand/model cheapish top loader would you guys advise that is a decent performer and a good "value"?

Reply to
me

I've had good luck with GE

Reply to
Bob

They are probably all junk except commercial grade, look for reviews like at Consumers Reports. I had commercial units last 40 years, and the new stuff showing problems after 1 year. There are brands reviewed as poor.

Reply to
ransley

Hmm...was thinking that might be the case.. will have to buy commercial grade that is.

But...where do I find commercial grade stuff/ Does Lowe's have such washers ?

Reply to
me

The Whirlpool/sears is a pretty good machine and if you have a scratch and dent outlet you can get one pretty cheap. They all have basically the same motor/transmission. The big difference is the size/coating of the drum and the timer. Personally I like the old mechanical timers the best. They don't get blown up in a thunderstorm and you don't have the diaphragm matrix key pad problems.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ok that happens to be one brand I'm looking at... Whirlpool 5540 for abt $400

It does NOT have stainless steel drum tho.... porcelain only. is that a deal breaker/ is stainless drum pretty important?

Reply to
me

I looked at consumer reports and here is what they say for top load washers only, out of 67000 surveyed Roper was best at 6% complaints, Frigidare, GE, Whirlpool, 9%, Kenmore 10% Fisher Paykel 13%, Maytag

13%, Amana 14%. Subscribe online to read the review, commercial units are at least double the cost and most companies make them.
Reply to
ransley

saw that

Wonder why Fisher Paykel id so poorly?

Their top loaders actually have LESS parts than others since everything is direct drive!

Reply to
me

I have a Fisher & Paykel and it has been fantastic. Personally, with their track record for being wrong, I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports to wind my watch.

Reply to
salty

Well they only polled 67000+ and 13% was the rate, of course they are not junk but you go do a poll of 67000 and get back to us, ok. I didnt know they still made wind up watches.

Reply to
ransley

GE heavy duty

Reply to
tnom

The best ratio of price to performance will be found on the "Free" washers listed on Cragislist.

Reply to
HeyBub

Didn't they sell out the appliance division?

Reply to
me

tnom

Dunno how the porcelain drums are nowadays, but the one on mine is fine at about 30 years old, ditto my mother's. Of the things that go wrong with washers, rusted drum is very low on the list unless you're routinely washing stuff that's likely to chip the porcelain.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've got one in my basement that works great that you can have for free, probably will need bearings at some point in the vague future tho...

(got a newer free one from a friend)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Used, about $35. Replace as needed. Look for a heavy duty machine, as mentioned in other posts, and you might get lucky and find a good one that will last for years.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Millions of machines have porcelain and no problems. My last one was 25 years old when replaced and drum was still perfect.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The number of parts means little if they are not made to close tolerances or good material. Of course, outsourced parts came from the lowest bidder too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In 2004 I bought an F&P washer based on Consumer Reports recommendation at the time. I've been extremely pleased with it -- it works well and gives no trouble. I'm surprised at the present Consumer Reports survey results.

The F&P was more expensive than most top loaders but cheaper than front loaders. At the time it was also eligible for a $125 Energy Saver rebate from the electric utility.

Reply to
Bob