HVAC options?

I live in a Condo that has 3 floors. The HVAC is in a closet on the first floor where the thermostat is. I have seen home systems that have multiple air pipes coming of the HVAC to feed zones but unfortunately I can can't do that since there is no basement or room. Are there other options to put something like inline air monitors to send more air upstairs when an occupant is there? The 3rd floor is probably 8 degrees hotter than the 1st floor on hot days (>=85).

Reply to
dan

Hi, Deiling fan may help.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Ceiling fan may help.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Have that but need more...

Reply to
dan

Sam's Club, $125 for window unit, problem solved....

Reply to
J.H. Holliday

Many of my customers live in condos and townhomes and I hear of this problem often. One of the biggest contributors to this is the poor location of the returns. In one particular development with two story condos the only return for heat and A/C is downstairs at the base of the air handler. Consequently no hot air is removed from upstairs.

After exploring other options with HVAC contractors regarding one of my customers in this predicament, everyone agreed that the only viable option in this case was to install a supplemental exhaust fan that vented into the attic. There was no way to install return ducts without tearing out the ceiling and walls and no one was sure if the space would be available to do so. I installed a remotely located 440 CFM quiet Panasonic fan with a 16" x

20" filter vent on the wall near the peak of the sloped ceiling. I told the customer that she will need to leave a window open for air flow. She called me a few weeks after I did the installation and told me what a difference it made in her bedroom. When the fan is on she opens a downstairs window so the outside air is cooled before it makes its way upstairs and she has been able to raise her thermostat setting.

Other options you can possibly consider is an attic ventilator fan or a whole house fan.

Reply to
John Grabowski

This is what we do with one big room in the attic, but not an AC from Sam's Club (I won't buy from Walmart), instead an AC from a local applicance/home furnishings business. Works great! Retrofitting the returns would be an incredible nightmare.

Reply to
KLS

Others have posted some good info. Check that your air filters are clean and not restricting the air flow. See if air flow increases when the filter is removed. You could tie a streamer to the vent to help judge whether flow increases. Try running the circulation blower continously for at least 24 hours. You can't just cool the upstairs when someone is up there as home air conditioning systems do not have that kind of excess capacity. What you need is more air flow to the upper levels. Booster fans in the ducts might help. Be sure you have a good clear pathway for air to get back down to the air return inlet; no closed doors, etc., in the way.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

you can get assist fans that go in the supply side line to the problem room.

or throttle back partially close the vents to other parts of the home, so you get more flow where you need it the most.,.

call some local HVAC contractors

Reply to
hallerb

...no doubt you voted for Senator Heinz-Ketchup in the last presidential election and will be voting for the empty suit platitude-spouting liberal this time around too....

Reply to
J.H. Holliday

Is that a brand name? Would you leave the deiling fan on the floor, blowing side to side, or what?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The big problem is that heat rises. So, the building needs more AC on the third level. Sometimes this can be done by partly closing the vents to the lower levels. Other times, closing vents creates more problems than it solves.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Desist letter from anal retentive tenant association concerned with appearance of the neighborhood. Problem mutates.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No window in loft, only sky light.

Reply to
dan

I have tried that and it creates a lot of noise on the first floor around the not completely sealed vents...

Reply to
dan