Who owns the rain?

"Technically, rain that falls on your roof isn't yours for the taking. It's a resource of the state, which regulates the use of public waters through an allocation process that can take years to navigate."

Strangely, I don't think you need a permit to MAKE rain (probably something to do with Native American religious practices...).

Reply to
HeyBub

Luckly for those of us in dry climates we don't even gather enough water for anyone to care.

Reply to
runsrealfast

In the last town I lived in the sanitary district (sewer central) charged us for the run off of rain from our property into the storm drains. Needless to say, I got the frig out of that town. So I would say that they assumed that I owned the rain that fell on my property, not the state. Otherwise they would have sent the bill to the state.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

What town WAS this? How was run off metered?

Reply to
Oren

Nothing that happens on the Left Coast ever surprises me. This is similar to California trying to tax commercial sattelites that flew over California air space and the electric company that wanted to charge homeowners for installing solar panels.

Praying for rain is a practice in almost all religions. Join my religion (Memership is free) and you too can claim the rain is the result of your efforts. It's called "The Church of the Old School".

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

My favorite was when they got slapped down for trying to tax retirees who had left California "for money they had earned in California". Supremes guffawed.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Territorial airspace, even on national scales, stops at 100 km (approx. 62 miles) above sea level. Everything past that is like the "high seas" and not subject to jurisdiction of any nation (including political subdivisions thereof such as California).

Don Klipstein

HeyBub wrote: ...

One of Baxter Black's sayings is something along the lines of "the effectiveness of a rain dance is dependent mostly on the timing"... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

CA was one of five states, claiming tax on federal pensions. NY, CT, and a couple of other states that escape me at the moment.

You lived and worked here, so we want a portion.... Courts ruled, otherwise..

Reply to
Oren

There's a company cafeteria in SoCal that expects you to pay for certain items you bring from home. For example, if you get something from the salad bar but elect to bring your own dressing, you're supposed to pour your own dressing on the salad PRIOR to weighing it, so you can be charged for something you already own. They don't let you buy a salad with no dressing. Only in California.

But...hadn't they already been taxed on that money while they actually lived there? Insane!

You said that a company cafeteria does this? Is that not an employer-employee relationship matter? I would think that companies acting outrageously like that would most likely be running afoul of the law in a state that regulates private matters more such as California. Is the company trying to risk motivating California to pass yet another law?

Don Klipstein

And he wants to tax you for using it.

Reply to
Dick Adams

AlGore owns the rain.

Reply to
SteveB

As Johnny Carson once said: "California is like living in a box of Granola. Everywhere you turn, there's a fruit, a flake, or a nut."

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Whether buying, selling, or seducing, timing is everything.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Not really...the issue was over IRA or 401K money that was not taxed at time earned, but is taxed at withdrawal (like in a no-state-tax state like Nevada !!) .... so to CA and the rest, tough cookies

Reply to
Reed

CA, anyway, also tried to suggest that SS and defined-benefit pensions were fair game.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I may have spoken prematurely. What is the carbon footprint for rain? Surely not as much as an AlGore jet going here and there and back again. All in the interest of conservation and the reduction of carbon footprints, dontcha know?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Who'll stop the rain?