Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

your local repair shop has them and you might be able to find them online.

Reply to
nospam

it's not a pain. it snaps on and off very easily.

no wonder you have trashed lenses.

you need a lot more than a filter can offer.

no, what you need is to learn how not to trash your equipment.

Reply to
nospam

then why do you blame the camera for the damage?

full frame, or a full 35mm sized sensor, not a 1.5x crop as with the ones you have. add an extra digit to the price.

Reply to
nospam

"FF" means Full Frame v DX= APS-C in reference to physical sensor size relative to 35mm film.

You really wouldn't want to use DX kit lenses on a D700.

Reply to
Savageduck

Look at the Pentax K30, it's weather and dust sealed, and would be a step up from your mid-level D5000. As you seem to be using the lower end plastic mount lenses, you aren't getting any real cachet of metal mount Nikkor glass. And please don't drop som many lenses...

Darrell Larose

This is what he needs, the H4D

New low price too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is there a ding anywhere on the rim?

You really don't know. Now you're not even sure if the lens was dropped. It could have been swung into something. If it was attached to the body, the camera was unlikely to drop with the lens face first. The weight of the body would cause it to rotate.

A filter in place would not have hurt, but may not have helped.

It doesn't make much difference at this point.

Reply to
tony cooper

You've already posted to photo.net under the name RockSock Doc.

Reply to
tony cooper

I take my camera, and usually a few lenses, everywhere I go. It goes with me nearly every time I leave the house. I'm an old guy too, but in pursuit of photographs, fun, or curiosity I still climb over fences and walls, up trees and cliffs, paddle up streams, etc..

I can't afford to buy rugged gear, so I ruggedise it myself. In other words, I carry everything in individual padded bags, and all my camera gear bags are also well padded. That works very well.

I have broken one camera and a couple of lenses when in use by my own carelessness. I've learned by experience and either avoid doing those things or do them with better protection against accidents.

I can't afford rainproof gear but I like shooting in the rain. So I use camera raincoats. Beach sand is a big nuisance so I've developed handling procedures which keep it out of my camera. Condensation is scary, so I've learned how it works and how to combat it.

If you can't afford or can't get a rugged enough camera you need to ruggedise it and your methods of using it yourself. Since you're still alive you've obviously learned how to keep yourself safe and reasonably comfortable. What's the problem in taking the same attitude to your camera gear?

Reply to
Chris Malcolm

Your fault.

Ah, yes, you want the filter *and* the front elements to break under the impact. Sure thing, go ahead. We need someone to funnel money into the industry.

Yes, if you force them all the time, some day they will fall off. Usually people can get 5 or 10 years out of them.

I'm sure there was a passage in the instructions not to leave the battery in for days.

Happens every time you use them as sledge hammers. Guaranteed.

But, duh, at these cheap lens prices you can buy a lot.

Happens every time you use them as sledge hammers. Guaranteed.

But, duh, at these cheap camera prices you can buy quite a few.

It's called a sledge hammer. They're much cheaper. They take a *lot* of mishandling. You can drop them from over your head. You can smash them into rocks and concrete walls. They can be taken most everywhere. They should do almost everything you need. They can even take a bullet.

You can even make images with them, just use a chisel and a stone plate. But don't whack it to hard, or the image quality suffers.

Anyway, a normal ruggedized camera won't work for you. Not even something like (random url)

An additional deep underwater housing won't work for you.

You need to look at stuff like

Military cameras such as
't handle the abuse you routinely subject your cameras to.

-Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Weisselberg

For me, would Full Frame add any value to my pictures? (I'm ok with the quality - I just want a more rugged SLR.)

Reply to
Arklin K.

Absolutely not. Only the glass is cracked. I doubt the rim contacted anything because a close inspection shows it to be pristine.

Reply to
Arklin K.

You could probably still have a usable lens if you fill the chip with black India ink. This will reduce any flare caused by the chip &/or scratches. <

This is somewhat simplified, but spells out the idea. <

Not perfect, but one way to salvage a working lens out of one you are about to write off.

Reply to
Savageduck

Now that's an interesting idea!

Thanks.

Reply to
Arklin K.

  1. How about one of these for any of your Nikons?
    Take your other 3 cameras to a camera repair shop to get fixed. Then you can sell them on Craigs list and possibly get enough money to buy your next camera.
Reply to
willshak

I think perhaps one of these might be a fair starting point. <

There are some other protective armors, but the Delkin offering is inexpensive enough.

Reply to
Savageduck

Here is something at reasonable price. <

Savageduck

OP still needs to avoid dropping the camera or dinging any part of the lens. A serious blow near the front edge of the lens tube puts tremendous force on both the lens mount and camera body aperature that receives the lens. The g forces can shatter a lens element, disrupt the glue that cements lens elements together, warp or strip finely machined focusing linkages, etc. The skin may help protect against some hazards, but it will not protect against careless or abusive treatment. High quality cameras are precision instruments and can never be fully hardened unless mounted on a shock absorbing mount inside a titanium box with fully automated remote controls and a lens window made of bulletproof plastic or glass.

Reply to
Peter

My suggestion was somewhat tongue in cheek.

I fear, the OP, given his wont to abuse his possessions to the point of destruction, would find it impossible to maintain most equipment of a technical nature, be it camera, or car. I think protecting any camera he might own, either with added armor, or by purchasing a more rugged and expensive item, would only add minutes to its life given the habits of its owner.

Reply to
Savageduck

Wolfgang Don't be so gentle - tell him the truth.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood