Where to buy a section of the garage?

I have a simple standard steel garage door with 4 pieces connected to each by hinges. The top piece is damaged - cracked at the automatic opener connection causing it to bend a little (like a hammock shape) when being pulled up and cause extra strain to the up force and causes it to stop once a while. It's pretty easy to remove by unscrew the hinges. The only problem is - I COULDN'T find any place online that sells just a piece of the door. Seems like nobody have just a piece damaged that garage door manufacturers would bother to sell just a piece or what??

Reply to
tedqn

Here are a few other choices, maybe do both.

Swap the #3 and #4 panels if the it is only being deformed when the closer is tugging on it.

Install an angle iron stiffener to the top of the top panel. It could be attached with self drilling screws, pop rivets, or nuts and bolts. try to make the closer attachment fasten to the angle iron. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Call a door contractor near you. Those panels are truck shipped, because they are so long. The contractor will tell you if you looking at a new door or if a panel is even available.

Reply to
SQLit

In the comments box enter whether the door is insulated or not. If the door is insulated what type of backer material is covering the insulation. Specify if where the sections butt together has ship-lapped or tongue and groove edges. If you know the manufacturer of the door and it's model number it would be even more helpful.

Rich ==================================== Garage Door Parts, LLC

Reply to
Rich

Consider reinforcing the top section with 1 x 4, or even 1 x 6, fairly long piece. You can attach it to the metal with carriage bolts. You may want to use large washers, but if there are enough bolts over a long enough distance, that might not be necessary.

mm

I did try to re-enforce the crack area with a 4" x 1/2" strip of metal with 4 holes & 4 screws. It kinda helps but not much. After looking a friend's home built by a reputable builder, I figured it out. Near the top is a horizontal support bar that fits the whole width, screwed to the 4 vertical beams. That definitely keeps the top section straight. Guess the idiot who originally installed the garage wasn't really a professional. The door is only 2 years old and already bent so I figure even if I replace it with a new piece, it will bend soon or later without the extra support bar. Now it's just a matter of finding a similar bar ...

Reply to
tedqn

The "bar" you are referring to is called a strut.

You should also use a operator reiforcement bracket.
Rich ==================================== Garage Door Parts, LLC

Reply to
Rich