Where can I get an industrial sized outdoor blender on the cheap?

I have been making my own compost out of everything in the kitchen. Yes. Everything. I don't subscribe to the 'rats' will eat the bones.

They don't.

I put kitchen scraps (peels, cores, vegetable parts, bones, eggshells, etc.) into a big garbage can, layered with soil & wood chips and I leave it for years before I use it (I have about four or five of them right now).

To quicken things up, I'm thinking of getting a used industrial strength blender that I can use outdoors. Do they exist?

The plan, if they exist, is to get one of those outdoor blenders on the cheap. Keep it plugged in outside. Pour all the kitchen scraps into it, and blend when it gets full.

It may take days or even weeks to get full so that's why it has to be and outside blender. The wife won't put up with it being in the kitchen.

Once a week or once a month or whatever, I'd empty the blended kitchen scrap mush and layer THAT (instead of layering the kitchen scraps).

That would speed up the process of making the compost I would think. But where can I get an industrial sized outdoor blender on the cheap?

Reply to
mike

Outdoor farm grain grinder? Grain mill?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They do, however, feed off the bits of meat and tendon still attached to the bones.

Scott Lurndal

Just an idea, maybe you can pick up one or more used Insinkerator garbage disposal units and cobble together a shredder from that. Bones would still be a problem, though, so you'd still need a pre-grinder for that. I saw something homemade on Youtube quite a few years ago that would definitely work for you, but I wouldn't be able to find the video again.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it: You think the rats will eat the bones but they don't?

Regardless, I've read that there is a one-celled or almost one-celled animal that does eat bones, and that's why so few bones are found during the random digging that people do. Why so few unmarked graves and cemeteries are found.

IMO being one-celled, they are probably slow.

Reply to
micky

No. I don't worry about the rats. My stupid neighbors do.

They whine that rats will come and that will bring snakes which brings something else which brings something else. They're avowed Democrats who know nothing about global warming because they buy nitrogen fertilizer by the bag (which is what started this whole conversation with them).

When I told them that the production of nitrogen causes more green house gas emissions than automobiles, they said only automobiles cause GHG.

They're stupid. They only know what the propaganda machine fed them. They don't recycle anything. They have garbage bins every week.

I almost never have a full garbage bin - it takes me nearly half a year to fill it up with stuff (like styrofoam or garden hoses) that aren't recyclable. (Most things are recyclable so they go in the recycle bin.)

My neighbors claim to be Democrats but they buy a new car every three or four years (which is a very wasteful thing to do for green house gases).

Back to recycling, they throw all their compost either down the drain or into the garbage bins. I know this because we have to put them together.

I don't throw away ANYTHING that is organic that I consume in the kitchen.

I compost it. I compost everything.

It sits in a closed garbage bin so no animal can get it unless they know how to open a garbage bin - and we don't have raccoons or monkeys here.

After a few months to a few years (depending on how I feel at the moment), I roll the garbage bin over to an area that needs better soil and I dig a hole and dump it into that hole and then I cover it up with the dug soil.

It stinks for a day or two and then the wind blows it all away.

If animals were digging up the bones then I'd see the holes and they don't exist. I don't have a dog or cat either. So what's gonna dig up bones?

They never find bones in shipwrecks that have been there a while.

Anyway, I do have a 2 inch wood chipper which I hadn't thought about using. I also can jury rig some kind of contraption with a garbage disposal.

Both those were GREAT industrial strength ideas.

I like the garbage disposal better because the wood chipper is too dangerous and it spits everything out so it might turn into a mess.

What I was looking for though was something like a gallon or two gallon sized blender - maybe with stainless steel as the container.

Reply to
mike

The things I was thinking about aren't necessarily tractor powered. Some are human powered.

Dean Hoffman

How about a beat up cement mixer?

Reply to
Thomas