Weathering Galvanize -- How?

Anybody know a way to age/weather new galvanize before I start experimenting with stuff like lemon juice?

jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

jim evans

Put it outside. Wait. Done

Unless you want to paint it weathering takes place fairly fast. There are primers made for galvanized material.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Vinegar.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Okay, I tried vinegar after your suggestion and it doesn't turn it to the weathered gray look. It turns it from shiny to black.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Are you trying to get ready for paint or are you leaving something galvanized?

Vinegar is one of the old standard preparations to be able to paint galvanized. I've not ever known it to turn black.

If you just want to kill the shine of new galvanized, you might be pleased with applying LPS cold galvanized spray paint, it is quite dull. Here is a reference:

DanG