caulking for siding

Hi there,

I was about to caulk the new hardi siding on my garage (horizontal lap boards). Since the bottom part of each board kicks out from the lap, there is quite a bit of space to fill with caulk for each seam. Do I keep filling these gaps with oodles of caulk? This seems like it will be a very slow and tedious job... Any tips on how to caulk lap siding?

thanks

Reply to
Sluggo

They make a insulation roll foam to back up caulk. Comes in 3 diameters that I know of. You fill gap with that first and then caulk. Think it is called backup rod or something like that. Just a dense foam spagetti like material available in hardware stores.

Reply to
Art Begun

jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

jim evans

did you install it backwards? did you nail the overlap?

usually you would caulk only vertical joints NOT horizontal joints.

If you need to caulk all overlapped joints it is installed incorrectly.

M.C. somewhere in Ca.

Reply to
Mike Columbo

I only have the vertical joints to caulk.

Reply to
Sluggo

Some installations involve plastic clips that go in the vertical joints.

(horizontal lap

joints.

Reply to
Art Begun