Code sez outlets have ground up but appliance plugs still same.

Outlets can be installed with the ground socket up or with the ground socket down. Code now requires outlets to be installed with the ground socket up. ?

Have manufactures of appliance cords started to switch things around so that when the plug is plugged in the cord hangs down?

Thanks for your replies.

Reply to
andy everett

Kindly quote the NEC Article # which has this requirement.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

At least some of my window AC's hand better with ground up. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Could be a local code somewhere.

Reply to
Gary Tait

I think you're mistaken.

jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

jim evans

My current house that I bought new in 1965 had all the outlets installed with the ground up, and even back then, the few things that came with a ground needed to be plugged in with the ground down. After closing and before moving in, I turned every single one over and have had no problems in all these years. The only metal covers are in the garage area. Tell me how a cover is going to come loose and drop down with something plugged in anyway?

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Every stupid plug-in in my house is ground plug up. I hate it, If I knew how to change them without electocuting myself I would. I find them inconvenient and can only assume the person who installed them had an evil sense of humor or was drunk.

Vikki >

vikki

Use checker and test current outlets and also appliences. After checking use method which is most uniform and re arrange out of uniformity plugs. Louis

Reply to
stan100

I think the idea is that if the plug is installed with the ground hole "at the bottom" and there is an appliance not fully plugged in, something could fall and contact the hot pin, causing an arc / fire / general death and destruction. If the plug is installed the other way, this mythical falling object would harmlessly contact the ground pin.

Similarly sideways installations are recommended as neutral slot up (in polarized outlets).

I am not an electrician but I play one on TV.

Reply to
Len

Try this explanation:

tbd

Thank you, good article. Will try and remember this part:

"To ease the suffering, I will share with the reader my algorithm for choosing outlet orientation. Here it is:

  1. If the customer specifies an orientation, do it that way.
  2. Else, if the receptacle is for a specific appliance, try to find out whether the appliance cord works better with one orientation or the other, and install the receptacle accordingly.
  3. Else, if the local authority has an opinion, follow it. Don't ask me to guess which way they might prefer, or why. Probably, they don't have an opinion on it.
  4. Else, if the job is in an existing home or facility, install it the same way as the existing receptacles.
  5. Else, install it with the ground prong at the bottom, because that is more common, and looks better besides."
Reply to
andy everett

turn off the whole house breaker. unscrew the little screws that hold the faceplate on. unscrew the 2 long screws that hold the outlets in flip over outlet screw in the 2 long screws screw in the little screws for the faceplate

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

On a bright sunshiny day.