WD-40 or something like it cleans contracts.

I can't find the thread about the radio/cassette/CD player that worked for a while after I jiggled the on/off slide switch and then stopped, and then jiggling wouldn't make the power light even flicker in the slightest. But that tended to convince me the problem was somewhere else.

But just before I left, I figured there was nothing to lose so I took the knob off and sprayed just a little bit of the stuff in the top of the slide switch. The can was blue and red or something that reminded me of WD-40 but its name was nothing like that.

Anyhow the radio went on immediately after turning it on, no jiggling required. So WD-40 looks pretty good for cleaning the contacts on a power switch, probably carrying 12 volts.

Reply to
micky

You just said it wasn't WD40 - and you have no idea WHAT you used, so how do you come to that conclusion????? Mickey logic I guess.

Reply to
clare

The "WD-40" brand does have a Contact Cleaner specific formulation

Retired

No I didn't. I said its name (in the other country in another language. and even if it were in English) was nothing like WD-40, but the product might well have been WD-40.

That's not true either. I know about what I used that if was not WD-40, it was a lot like WD-40,

It's a pretty weak conclusion. I said it *looks* pretty good. As in "It looks like it will be a nice day." That's no guarantee.

The product I used was good for cleaning contacts and it looks like WD-40 would be good also.

:> Mickey logic I guess.

Darn right.

It's sort of amazing to me that I go to the trouble of posting something that might be helpful for the readers, just like I did when I posted about email alerts for charge card charges and the pitfalls with them, which could be a great help to those who get misleading email alerts about their charges, and instead of thanking me or ignoring me, you and a few of the others like to carp about the posts and insult the poster.

Now I'm not saying you folks are these, only that this is the metaphor that others would use in this situation and the metaphor normally used for this is a pack of jackals. I think it's a shame that this reference even occurs to me here.

Reply to
micky

Since proper contact cleaner is available just about anywhere in the world, what makes you think there is value in your recommendation that it appears something like wd-40 would work for cleaning contacts?? It MIGHT work, but it also might destroy the control - and depending what the control is part of, it might be serious. In Denmark, WD 40 is still WD 40, and the WD 40 is on the can. see:

Also in Finland, Sweden, and Norway.spain, and portugal,even in israel.

Reply to
clare

[...]

Servisol switch cleaner.

Kenny