Silicone Lube - What is this shit?

Yesterday I sprayed some silicone lubricant into my ignition switch on my car. When I sprayed this silicone, it came out foamy. I always leave the key in the ignition when the car is in the garage. Last night the temperature was around +10F. This morning I went to the car and the ignition switch is frozen. The key wont come out at all, and the switch will not turn. Some of that foam remains, and it's ice. I thought silicone was a petroleum based product. I'm going to be late or miss work because of this garbage. I think I'll spend the day talking to my lawyer about the legal consequences of this shit, and my upcoming lawsuit against Permatex. For all I know, I will have to replace the key switch and maybe my door locks too, because I also sprayed them. (Fortunately I did not lock them). There is no warning on the can about freezing. The product is Permatex Silicone Spray Lubricant 116DA - Item# 80070. It states right on the can that its made for locks and get this (used to seal out moisture from distributors, ignition wires, and spark plugs). Yeah right, it adds water then seals out moisture from what? Someone is going to pay for this, and it's not going to be me.

I better call a locksmith and see what they can do with this mess. I just tried the door locks and they are frozen too, and there is frozen foam around them too.

By the way, I brought the Permatex aresol can in the house, its a large chunk of ice that rattles back and forth when I shake it.

Henry

Reply to
hbradford

Just fyi, someone earlier in the thread recommended using WD-40 to fix this problem and/or lubricate the switch or protect it from freezing, whatever. Don't. Several years ago I decided to spray WD-40 into my locks to both disperse the water and keep from freezing. Next morning when I went out, the excess I had sprayed into the locks had run out, down the side of the car and it was frozen! This is about the ONLY thing I've found that WD-40 may not do!!!

Chet

Reply to
Chet

It's no secret that WD40 is not a lubricant. In fact, it does not have much usefulness at all. It is a water dispersment product, that's all.

if you have a wet distributor cap, it'll get you home.

Steve Barker DLT

Hi, Top posting is bad. No one reads from bottom up.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

no, we read from the top down. That's why it makes the most sense to put the latest reply at the top. Therefore you don't have to scroll through what you've already read to see the latest reply and you can sooka mi dik.

Steve Barker DLT

Steve Barker DLT

Who is "we"? You *don't* speak for me. Top posting makes sense in one to one email correspondence. It makes a lot less sense in newsgroup and even less sense when 99.99% of the posting in this group is bottom posting. It makes sense to be normal and go with the convention of wherever you happen to be.

Reply to
George

Reply to
HeyBub

Howdy,

Have either of you noticed this:

Folks on Usenet usually post at the bottom, and occasionally at the top.

They also sometimes "Inter-post" that is, they add their comments in several places within the post to which they are responding.

When people use that last approach, they never seem to top post within the message. They always follow the logical flow and add there comment after that to which they respond.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Ooops...

"add their comment after"

Reply to
Kenneth

on 12/3/2008 12:00 PM HeyBub said the following:

You do realize that you t>

Reply to
willshak

Reply to