removing corrosion from battery compartment

Ideas for getting battery acid/corrosion out of a battery compartment.

I know on a car battery you use baking soda.. but in a case of this I am afraid the solution would leak into the device.. any ideas...

Reply to
Jack

First of all I think we would need to know what we are working with in order to better help you.

If this is an electronic game or something then you can clean it with a toothbrush and WD-40. I used WD-40 when my 2 way radio battery leaked, I just removed anything that had dried or was flaky with a dry toothbrush then I sprayed a little WD-40 on the brush and got out the rest. If you can find a bronze brush that would even be better.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

====

======

What is "this"? What device? All I know is that it is not a car.

Reply to
mm

in an automotive battery the sulfuric acid damage is irreversible you must neutralize with baking soda. if it is alkaline flashlight battery leakage vinegar [a mild acid] will neutralize it but the corrosion of the contacts and wires can be a further problem. google search at:

buffalobill

device is a toy metal detector, battery compartment is a shallow tray that holds 6 AA batts, one row.

Reply to
Jack

"Jack" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

If the leaky batteries are ALKALINE,then you use VINEGAR,an -acid-,to neutralize the alkaline leakage.If necessary,use Q-tips soaked in the vinegar,swab until there's no fizzing and the green stuff is gone.

If the cells are carbon-zinc(acid electrolyte),then use baking soda solution.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That must mean you'll have to take half the case off to get to the end of the battery row.

If you can't get it to work with the brush and the other stuff people say, you can replace the sheet metal at one end or the spring at the other with a new piece of sheet meta and spring. you can take them from something that is broken, or you can cut the sheetmetal from anything. I think I once used a vegetable can, although there might be better stuff. I left it on the porch of an exgirlfriend, who might not have have even remembered who had it. Since it was 6 months since I'd seen her, and I didn't want to see her again. But I said I'd fix it so I did. But I didn't hear back, but it did work when I dropped it off.

Reply to
mm