Harvesting backyard trees for woodworking

I have a mature apple tree in the backyard that have to be removed for a pool installation. I hate to see the wood wasted. I'm wondering how practical it is to harvest this wood for use in a future furniture or turning project? Any advice on storing and curing the wood?

Reply to
hhk

For turning, certainly. I've taken down similar trees.

For furniture, possible.

Do you have a chainsaw?

If there's a woodturner's club in your area, you may well be able to get someone to take the tree down for you in exchange for a percentage of the wood.

In a nutshell, you need to cut the logs lengthwise and remove the pith, then seal the ends with something like anchorseal. Even so, fruit wood will twist and move like crazy, so you'd want to cut 2" planks to have a chance of getting a 1/2" plank after it dries.

Drying time is approximately 1 year per inch of thickness.

You could search rec.crafts.woodturning and rec.woodworking for lots of info on this subject.

Your other concern with back yard trees, of course, is that you have no idea how many nails and screws are hidden inthe trunk and branches. A

*good* metal detector is a necessity.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I would ask this question in the woodworking news group

Reply to
scott21230