Container size for mini Patio Trees

Hiya I really need some advice on the container sizes for some mini patio treers I've just bought. The pear tree is called Harvest Green, I also have a mini apple (forgot it's name) and a Stella cherry tree. The apple and pear will grow two metres wide and high after five years and the cherrry will grow three metres wide and high.

They're currently in a pot that is 10" wide and 8" high. I was origianlly going to plant them in the biggest container I could get but read online yesterday that they should just be potted on into bigger pots untill finally planting them into their final with minumim size being 45cm.

The containers I have spare at the mo are one that's 13" wide by 11" high and one that's 15" wide and 13" high. When I messured the widths I messured the inside so they're more likey 14" and 16" wide containers.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Reply to
jayne_80

This is what I have always done and my trees in tubs are all doing fine. If somebody can explain what the 'pot them up one size' approach is supposed to do and _why_ it is better than all at once I am all ears.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I was once told, prior to the internet, that the idea of "patio trees" was to keep them small mainly for decorative purposes therefore keeping them in as small a pot that would sustain them would limit the root growth and in turn limit the upper growth.

When you are told something when your young by a person who looks like they know what they are doing then that seems to stick.

If I want a fruit bearing tree I still pot it into as large a pot as I can as soon as I can.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

i only have rumor and speculation. ;) it's been ages since i've done potted trees other than bonsai.

but speculate is what noodles can do:...

any time you repot the tree you can root prune away dead stuff and reshape the root system to increase root surface area, making a more efficient use of the space than what a tree might do otherwise. this should give a deeper and more resistant to drought root ball and perhaps a better anchor against wind damage. if it falls over you want the whole thing to go and not the tree being ripped off the surface.

do any of these make sense to you?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

It does make sense but making sense is not sufficient. It's a nice story, it may even be true. I am not arguing but I could also write:

If you plant in a big tub the roots spread out making a more efficient use of the space than what a tree might do otherwise. this should give a deeper and more resistant to drought root ball and perhaps a better anchor against wind damage. if it falls over you want the whole thing to go and not the tree being ripped off the surface.

How do we determine which story is right or if in fact it matters one way or the other?

David Hare-Scott