advice please re growing patio fruit trees

HI there my first visit pls help me

i have a patio which i would like to use to grow patio fruit trees an even potted fruit plants pls advise all tips from type of pot to us composts? i like cherry apple and plum tress plus figs . you can se why i have named myself red fingers as i dont have a clue !!! many thanks happy gardener

-- red fingers

Reply to
red fingers

For patios, I would suggest dwarf trees. If a supplier doesn't know what a dwarf tree is, shop elsewhere. Check if the fruit tree is self fertile, or not. If not, you will need two trees of similar cultivars that can act is pollinators. Some fruits are self- fertile, so they don't need a companion tree for pollination. Put them in the largest pots you can physically handle. Pots tend to dry out in hot weather, so keep them watered. If in a climate with very cold winters, either move them inside or try to insulate the pots. Fill the pots with a mix of compost and soil and assure that there is good drainage. These are just some general ideas. I suggest you study up on

fruit trees for more details.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwindu