1st time kale grower

I'm growing kale for the first time this year (I'm quite a beginner - last year was my first year trying to grow anything) and have just recently taken advantage of the warm spell we're having here in the UK (I'm in the Midlands, and its been about 20-24 C) and have planted them outside in individual pots of about 12-14cm.

There are say about 5-7 leaves on each plant, but whilst the top ones are fine (although not very big), the bottom ones look like they're wilting. I'm being careful not to let them dry out, so I'm not sure why they are doing this.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you!

Reply to
Denno666

Any chance you have root maggots? Don't know for sure if kale is a common target, but other brassicas can be. Try asking other gardeners in your area if these are common. Alternatively you can try gently digging towards the roots - if you see small white "caterpillars" on the top of the roots - then the plant is toast :( - rip the poor thing out, trying to take as many of the maggots out as you can.

Growing young plants under a protective cloth (e.g. reemay) until the plants are fairly large will keep these from being a problem.

Reply to
Frank Miles