Water heater power cable, is romex OK in unfinished ceiling in garage?

Hi,

I need to run a #10 cable across my garage ceiling for a water heater and have 2 questions.

1) The ceiling is open (ie I can see the joists/floor above) is Romex OK or do I need metal clad cable?

2) The heater manual only shows the 2 hot legs and a ground, no neutral, is this right or have they just simplified the drawing?

Thanks

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

Romex is OK exposed in an unfinished space if it's fixed in a protected enviroment, such as, stapled along the side of a beam where it's not likely to be damaged.

220 volt resistive heaters, like water heaters, baseboard heaters do not need a neutral.
Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Don't know your local codes, but as a matter of plain common sense running conduit would be better in a garage. Looks more professsional, too. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

A good compromise is ENT (AKA Smurf tube). That is the flexible blue stuff.

Reply to
Greg

It depends on your local codes. In many places romex is ok above 8' but anything below that level needs to be protected. Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Thanks too all for the info and tips.

Nick..