Wall switch question

Better nyet, buy a "spec grade"switch with back-clamp terminals. No bending required. So simple a trained ape can do it properly, and you are assured you are getting a reasonable quality switch, unlike the "49 cent specials" from Home Despot. I believe the BORG actually does carry the good stuff as well - - -.

Reply to
clare

SO sorry. Being a good Canadian I guess I should appologize for everything I say - - - -

Reply to
clare

I don't see why it has anything to do with your nationality. Being a good

*person* is the only reason someone should apologize if they make an inaccurate statement.

A good *person* would simply apologize instead of deflecting the blame by changing the subject.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wouldn't even say an apology is needed. Just a simple acknowledgement of the point made would suffice. Better watch out, Clare will have you in his kill file soon.

Reply to
trader_4

Promptly and bow down to the X-spirts

Reply to
Tekkie®

I was just going to post this... My minimum is spec grade. I guess one could go to Wallys for a switch but...

Reply to
Tekkie®

I have a few of the smaller strippers too. They can be a trick to use if you do not adjust that screw for each wire size but after a while you do get a feel for how to nick the insulation enough to get it off without hurting the conductor. The bigger one has the advantage of being a lot of tools in one package.

Reply to
gfretwell

A VTVM? Haven't seen one in 50 years.

Reply to
gfretwell

One can only wish.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That, plus a field effect transistor analog meter. Read as a solid state VTVM.

I have both that were bought around 40 years ago.

I did check out the VTVM a couple of months ago on a rainy day just to see how accurate it was compaired to a Fluke meter and the Simpson 260. Did not try out the transistor vom as it takes a 'special' battery, about 8 volts if I remember correctly. Did not want to put in the connector for a 'standard' 9 volt battery on somehting I probably will not use.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes there are, but the average "handyman" today does not have a VTVM or other high end analog device. Most wouldn't have a clue how to read a multi-scale analog meter - let's face it even a digital multi-tester would baffle a good many. The vast majority will have access to a cheap (or even free from "Harbor Fright" digital.

Reply to
clare

I made an innaccurate statement? No I did not. I said "code required" rhe box to be grounded. It does, and has for decades. If the box is grounded the meter will work as I described. For accuracy - I tested a cheap digital and a good high impedence digital with no ground. The cheap digital did not read with a "capacitive ground" while the good high impedence did.

I'll make another recomendation for troubleshooting for the "basic handyman".

Get an "old school" neon "pocket tester".It WILL show when power is present without a physical ground. So will a "non contact" voltage sensor (if you get one that works - there is a lot of very chintzy chinese junk on the market - test on a known live circuit first to make sure you don't end up "chasing your tail"

So sorry if you don't understand what I'm saying or are offended in any way.

Reply to
clare

Mine is sitting on a shelg as a decoration - or was for years - Gotta go check to be sure - wouldn't want to post in-accurate information on this list --- Yup - the old Heathkit IM-11 is still there - whew! Don't have to appologize for that one!!

Reply to
clare

The one I used had FETs instead of vacuum tubes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Wasn't a VTVM then was it?

Reply to
gfretwell

Tekkie? wrote in news:xrIjB.435401$ snipped-for-privacy@fx37.iad:

I picked up a Walmart $1.59 GE switch. Maybe I should reconsider and try a good hardware store before I install anything.

Reply to
KenK

Stab connection or screw? I've had stab connections fail with time. Simply use the screw.

Reply to
John Keiser

The GE switch will likely last far longer than you will. You are only controlling two light bulbs with it. Feel confident and safe using the item you purchased, it will be just fine.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

John Keiser wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@powerusenet.com:

Screw