Light Switch Question On Ceiling Fan

I have a ceiling fan with the lights controlled by a light switch (dangling chain) from the center of the light cluster base. When I pulled down the chain on the light switch this morning, it hung up at the extended position and won't release from the switch. I opened up the fan base (it's a Hunter fan/lights) and the chain goes into a little plastic switch box. I sprayed some WD40 into the opening where the chain goes into the switchbox but this didn't help. Is there someway to unjam this light switch chain or do I have to replace the lights or at a minimum, try to find and replace the switch. Thanks in advance for any information or help that you may give.

Reply to
Hammer

Anthony Diodati

home depot and lowes has them for about $3.00.... if its the light swith and its just on and off for the lights then its a two wire switch... still when working on the fan/light, always draw a picture of the switch and which wires go where on the switch... so when you put the new switch back on you know where to put the wires........... i had a probem with the fan speed switch and got a new one(they are not all alike).... cost about the same for this more complex switch, but very easy to get confused as there is 4-5 wires that go to it.... always draw a picture of what wires go where and double check it before taking any wires off......

Reply to
jim

You must replace the switch. If you sprayed WD-40 in to the switch, it is now defective for sure. Never use WD-40 on anything that is an electrical part.

Jerry Greenberg

Jerry Greenberg

Replace the switch. I've bought the at Ace Hardware for about $1.50 recently. They aren't worth playing with.

I'm not impressed with Hunter's quality. I had the bearings fail in a "made in America" Hunter fan a few years ago. When I disassembled it the bearings were marked "Romania." I guess "made in America" means assembled in America from foreign parts.

RB

Hammer wrote:

Reply to
RB

Thanks to all of you for your input. I agree that I am disappointed with the Hunter quality of my fans. I've had them for about 10 years (not sure if that's a long time or not) and 2 of them have developed a loud hum which I assume is AC hum. I won't buy Hunter next time.

Reply to
Hammer