US wants to force lower speeds on truck and bus drivers

Per burfordTjustice:

Three words: Self-Driving Vehicles.

I think Toyota is talking about having one on the market within 5 years.

I would have to think that trucking companies will be all over it as soon as they can.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It's for the kids...

Reply to
rbowman

Just think of all the lawsuits waiting to happen when a self driving car has a wreck. Car company, software company, sensor manufacturer, etc....

Personally I'd like to be able to get in, set destination, close my eyes, or read, surf internet, whatever, even if the vehicle did stay on the speed limit.

I almost got run over one day by a pickup almost running a stop sign on a side road. It looked like they were eating Sunday dinner with all the food they were stuffing in their mouths.

Reply to
cowabunga dude

That was my impression in Austria as well.

My baby brother has been a trucker for decades - finally retired and moved on to other work. When Ontario mandated the speed limiters he said they are going to kill truckers. Shortly after, his speed limitted truck almost killed him. Comming down a grade just west of Calgary? with a full load of vinyl siding headed for Alaska after some very heavy rain, but on dry pavement, he dropped one trailer wheel off the pavement onto the soft gravel shoulder -. In a normal situation when that happens the driver steps on the loud pedal and pulls it out

- might railse rate a wee bit - might not. He was doing 105 or 110 kph

- heavy load on slight downgrade had it on or over the limit - when he stepped on it nothing (good) happened. A few seconds later he was sliding down a gully on his roof. He came to with his head a few inches from the mud, the top and fiberglass sleeper of the truck torn off and the one front fender burried in the mud. He got out and crawled up to the road, where a cousin from Ontario just happened to be driving by and saw the accident (small world). He had a broken neck and a few good bruises. All that was connecting the cab to the chassis was one A/C hose if I remember correctly When they pulled the wreck out of the gully one headlight assembly and half of the fiberglass fender were nowhere to be found - totally burried somewhere in the "slide"

He gave the first responders quite a scare - they couldn't believe anyone got out alive, and they thought there was a child trapped in the truck when they found some of his dog's toys scattered around the wreck. Thankfully CB wasn't with him on that trip.

Reply to
clare

Do you have teenage drivers?

My Genesis had BlueLink and I can set a perimeter and speed limit and can get a notification if exceeded. No kids driving so I never set up that part

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's a pretty straight and flat road, easy to cruise at 75+ and curse the guy doing 65.

Some years ago there was an incident much faster. A driver for the F C Kerbeck dealership was delivering a Ferrari to a customer in AC. He went by a radar trap at over 120. The cop did not even try to give chase, but they set up roadblock at the toll booth. When stopped, the driver simply explained, it was a nice day, good road, a once in a lifetime opportunity. The police were impressed with his honesty and asked to try it. Each did. Then they just told him to take it easy on the rest of the trip.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Per Ed Pawlowski:

Somebody in middle states of dementia.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Great idea then.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe have VW design them?

Reply to
Tekkie®

See that around Miami a lot, too. Only these guys go across 3 or more lanes of traffic in that manner. Never ceases to amaze me that they don't have Talledega "Big One" daily. Clip one, spin out and a pinball game erupts on The Turnpike.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman