** URGENT ** New home buyer - furnace question

Hello, I just took possesion of my home this week. I went in the basement, and the furnace was making a horrid high-pitch sound. It was the air filter, a 3-month Anti-Allergy one that was completely full of dumb-cat air.. So I took out the airfilter (AF), and the noise stopped.

I went to local store to buy new one. I bought wrong size... too long. It fits in the AF slot, but it sticks out about 2 inches each side.

I took out the AF, and put the metal guards back on the insert slot. So, my furnace has no AF. My AC/heat system is list as OFF, I will not be living there for another 5 days.

If the system is off, is no AF ok? Its been no AF for 2 nights. I'm panic-ing that my place will burn down now lol. Its a long drive, several hours. Will it be okay for another 48-hours? Thanks,

Reply to
Kbalz

yOU SOUnd like a troll, but on the off chance you're not: Yes, the system is off.

It will be ok for another 100 years, if it's off.

If it's on, it will still be ok.

Reply to
mm

-- It was the air filter, a 3-month Anti-Allergy one that was completely

-- full of dumb-cat hair..

Does smart cat hair look different than dumb cat hair?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah smart cat hair doesn't aggravate my allergies!! And all cats are dumb have you seen one of those, lazy and sleep all day like fat dumb cat garfield cartoon.

At 1st reply, no troll - english not first language, and beer. Thanks for the answer too.

Reply to
Kbalz

With the furnace off, the missing air filter is not an issue.

If you turn the furnace back on, the missing air filter will allow the stupid cat hair to clog the furnace and the air conditioning evaporator. And those are expensive repairs.

I suggest call a local heating and AC company for the system clean and check. Ask the tech to sell you a couple good air filters for your system.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-- Yeah smart cat hair doesn't aggravate my allergies!! And all cats are

-- dumb..

Sorry can't resist...

If all cats are dumb, how do you know that smart cat hair doesn't aggravate your allergies?

be any smart cats.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

First, relax.

Second, think.

How could any amount of offal from smart/dumb dog/cat/human collecting on a mechanical air filter cause the fan motor to make noise? Could you identify an electrostatic from a mechanical filter?

Never saw any cat panicking like this. Dumb or smart.

barry

How do people like you get through life, without knowing shit? It seems the odds are that someone this stupid would just eventually step off the curb in front of a bus, and not even know it.

Who ties your f****ng shoelaces for you in the mornings?

Friggin amazing.

Reply to
Dan C

You are still here. Tell us how you do it.

Let me guess. You sit in mom's basement every day with TV and cheetos?

Reply to
Terry

I think it is the filter that is whistling because it is clogged. Air speed though the remaining openings has increased.

I bought some cheap little accessory to make my filter whistle when it is clogged, but because of the way the filter is mounted, I can't get the whistle into the slot. But the principle remains the same.

Reply to
mm