Unfreezing drips

Ten-year-old Kenmore (Sears) refrigerator model

60992 (autoo-defroster, no ice maker) now drips from the freezer compartment. Space between its liner and outer shell is filled with ice (3 or 4 mm.) which melts and drips below. The drip pan at the base of the unit is bone dry.

Presumably there is a hose from the freezer (top of the fridge) down to the drip pan and this hose is now blocked. But I do not see how to reach either end of this hose to try to unblock it.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Two things: I have one of these old clunkers, and it's probably going to be in my will. It won't die! Every once in a while, I have to empty it, open the door, and just put a fan in front of it and let it all defrost. BUT, if there is a hose, it needs to be cleaned out, either with a blast of air, or a wire with a brush or a small piece of rag on it.

That is, if you can find the hose. While you're in there, blow out the motor and fan and vanes with compressed air to help it work easier.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Take everything out of the freezer. Remove a few screws, and the sheet metal back wall comes out. May take a bit of bending it this way and that. Thaw the entire back wtih a hair dryer (and plenty of towels to soak up the melt). The drain should be in the center, under the evaporator. Careful... those aluminum fins are VERY sharp. This, I know. Thaw the drain with hot water, and then blow some hot water down the drain with a turkey baster.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon