Under my porch

I keep spare lumber under my porch and needed some from the very bottom of the pile.

After living here for 40 years, I decided to pull it all out and sort it and get rid of a lot of useless pieces as well.

After it was all removed, I pulled a small scrap of newspaper out of the dirt and for some reason glanced at it before I tossed it.

It's almost 100 years old! There was an ad for a Victrola.

$350 for the hand cranked version. $ 390 for one with an electric motor

Nice bit of history.

Anyway...once I had all the lumber sorted I was too tired to do the actual work. My wife however roared with laughter when she saw me...my sweaty bald head was covered with a nice brown-dirt wig.

Reply to
philo

I had to look-it-up - I would have guessed $ 50. ...

That's a great deal of money ! ... but the expensive cabinet models are quite a piece of furniture ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I guess that one was considered top of the line.

One could get some kind of a player for much less.

I have a Pathe record player that was in rough condition.

It's fun to wind it up on occasion and play an old 78

Reply to
philo

We have a table-top Edison cylinder player - including ~ 50 cylinders - from my wife's family. It still plays - maybe once per year when we want to demonstrate it for company. It's just like this one :

music archive at USC :
John T.

Reply to
hubops

<snip>

Nice!

Reply to
philo

That's great.

I think you should spend the extra $40. In the long run it will be better.

I'm too t ired just from reading this.

I have a cabinet from a wind-up victrola, but all the guts are out. It has a rectanglar opening in the middle where the voice cone was. I put a 7" tv in there and it fit perfectly but no one ever sleeps in that room.

Reply to
micky

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 08:29:30 -0500, philo posted for all of us to digest...

Wow, nice find. Think about it - $40 for an electric motor - in those days. Like others have said the cabinetry was nice. Think about all the "junk" come across and trashed. 8-(

Reply to
invalid unparseable