Is this mask effective?

The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations. I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think it's just an "activated carbon filter".

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that. If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to protect the other people.

Reply to
micky

Agree. But if a bandana is considered acceptable " to protect others " ... these sports masks wouldn't be any worse. John T.

Reply to
hubops

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed. So maybe slightly better.

Hi Micky,

You did not happen to come across this same filter without the valve hole?

-T

I read that they are not even recommended as PPE if they have the exhaust vent. I supposed they do get used for some as PPE to avoid excessive fogging of face shields or goggles.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I very much doubt that.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Only stands to reason. What does not get through the mask on it own, builds up on the mask. Then when you cough or sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets blown all over everyone else. So the exhaust hole does help the build up issue

Most masks are almost worthless. The n95 masks are made to work in a contanimated area. They are to keep things out of you and not what you breath out. The virus particals are too small to be filtered going into you.

The home made cloth masks soon fill up with the moisture and then become ineffective.

There was a very good write up on this that was published on Facebook.

They are mostly like many of the feel good things. Like most of the gun and drug laws. Many are on the books, but it is very easy to get the illegal drugs and guns are easy to come by illegally.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Concentrating on all the trivial aspects of wearing masks - - is missing the point !

I strongly encourage everyone to go to a reliable health-department's web site and thoroughly _read_ all the good information there. It is not just about the masks ... it's about staying home when you are symptomatic ; hand washing ; distancing ; etc.

Government medical advice HAS changed over the months - read & re-read the most recent - rather than ignore everything because you can't accept the new reality.

Spreading half-truths and garbage science does not help.

Here's just one example of some government advice < Canada >

but everyone should probably go to your local / state information and do some serious reading.

If there is a single-most-important factor in explaining how the USA has done more poorly than it's peers - it would be the partisan messaging from the leaders. < exacerbated by the partisan media > In Canada, we saw the liberal Prime Minister and conservative Provincial leaders stand united - - and they were even heard to thank each other for shared initiatives ! ... everyone realizing that this is not the time for partisan politics. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Masks with valves protects others from the wearer but apparently doesn't protect the wearer from others.

Hawk

.. exactly ... wrong. :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

Relying on a writeup on "Facebook" for health advice is so stupid that you don't even need to bother replying to "Ralph" pointless anti-mask diatribes.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Wrong again.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Wow, that means Pence is smarter than you are. Scarey, huh?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

It figures that you would get it exactly beackwards.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Must be why surgeons wear them when doing surgery.

Not true of all of them.

Not true of droplets that you expel when talking etc. Which might just be why surgeons wear them when doing surgery.

That's bullshit too. The moisture does in fact trap some virus.

Clearly it mangled the story very comprehensively.

There might just be a reason why full PPE involve masks and why those testing for the virus always wear masks.

Must be why surgeons wear them when doing surgery and why those testing for the virus always wear them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Bicycle masks appear to be designed to protect wearer from breathing in crap but make breathing out easier. Means to me that they are less safe to those around them as we are told masks are most effective to keep wearers virus in.

Reminds me of the time a Harvard professor on the surgeon generals committee that condemned smoking for causing lung cancer told me that he smoked Larks for protection of the charcoal filter. He later developed lung cancer.

Reply to
Frank

Translation: you don't have an argument to present.

Already presented, and already ignored by you.

What makes you think that *everything* on there gets *everyone* else and that not perfect means not worth even trying?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Those masks are not to protect others as much as they are to protect the wearer. Early on I read that even the PPE masks with exhaler ports are not recommended for this application.

Reply to
FromTheRafters