Dyson fan remote sensor location

I have a Dyson (blade-less) fan that I placed off the end of the bed. Top of the bail (ring) is about 4.5' high. Fan works.

Problem: The sensor for the remote is on the base (2" off the floor) ! I have to get-up or sit-up and hold the remote as high as I can and then maybe I can get the remote a clear shot at the base to control the fan. Very poor placement for the remote sensor !

Anyone ever relocated the sensor or added a infra-red repeater to a Dyson fan ?

Thank you.

Reply to
sidwelle

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 18 May 2020 06:12:07 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This sounds like the kind of problem I would have.

In the tradition of answering questions not asked, first I would get some blades for your fan. Then it would work better even without the sensor.

Then I would ask, What functions do you actually perform with the remote. Just on and off?

I don't know if one can set an electronically controlled fan to be permanently on, but I hope you can. If all it has is a momentarily-on switch, likely you can't. One of the advantages of an old fan is that they have an on or off switch.

If you can turn it on permanently with the on-off switch, I"d make up a cord to plug the fan into with a wire to where your hand ends up with a switch on the end so you can turn the fan on and off without even moving.

I have that now. The only problem has been that the wire and the switch magically end up under me. I solved that by stuffing it somewhere.

only 6 feet, but workable.
switch in the middle, but okay, 8 feet from outlet to switch. Bad? because foot switch, but picture shows using a finger also. .
fewer picturexs but video I didn't play
Simple, cheap, more like what I like, but you might like something else. 15 feet, enough for the longest bed.
This one has a dimmer. A fancy fan like yours may not even turn on without the remote, and is even less likely to be dimmable, but fans that have 2 or 3 speed settings are very likely to be dimmable, despite what everyone here and elsewhere will say.

I think 6 out of the 7 fans I used dimmers with worked. Test by letting one run for a fwe hours while you are awake, checking to make sure the motor isn't hotter than normal. Or even the dimmer. Don't let the speed go so slow the fan does not spin, or it will most likely overheat and burn out.

Tbe one fan that did not work with a light dimmer I connected a motor speed control. I mounted it in a plastic box with wiring like above, but the box was too big

I've used dimmers like this with several fans for up to 35 years with never a problem, because I followed the rules above.

I use one of these now to turn my office fan on and off. It sits on the file cabinet, hard to reach even when standing up, but I don't have to stand up. And it also has a separate speed controller. I set the speed just below the speed where I hear its noise. It's a 3 speed fan so that might be lower for speed 3 and higher for speed 1. I forget which one I settled on.

Also my bedroom fan at the foot of my bed, which I'll keep even when the AC is finished.

I also have a fan in the kitchen, but without any remote ability.

And one in the ilving room and one in the basement tv room/shop.

Reply to
micky