Two questions, camera directory, camera timezone.

I thought I understood all this, and I know I've done it but I'm confused now.
I bought a camera on ebay, identical to the one I usually use (that one time wouldn't completely open until the 5th try, though that was a year ago) that works fine afaict and in F:\DCIM there are 4 subdirectories,
100ANDRO 2012 100LGDCF later in 2012 101PHOTO 2014 Camera 2013
I want to lend it to someone tonight or tomorrow and it would be nice if my friend had her own directory, but if I make a new one, how do I make it the directory that the camera uses?
1) Do I rename 101PHOTO and then create an empty one with that name??????
That sounds familiar.
And I can do that while the SD card is in the camera, connected to the laptop by a cable, right?
I"m traveling and by luck, one of my best friends and his wife are here for their first grandchild's wedding. She looked for the cable for her little SONY DSC W830 Optical Steady Shot camera before she left home and couldnt' find it, and I've been to 5 electronics stores with no success. (I have a car, they don't.) It's USB jack is narrower than all the others I've seen. Is this something Sony does? Or why is it so hard to find.
So after I couldn't find the cable, I thought about lending her my camera and an hour later I remembered that I'd brought a spare** camera, in case this got lost or broken. I even saw it when I was looking in the suitcase last night for the USB cable but I didn't think of it.
**Two spares actually. One that had been an insurance camera that I paid about $10 for at a hamfest. The seller had 10 or 20 of them left, all used by claims adjusters of the same insurance company, that had moved up to better.
Anyhow I thought I checked when I got this 3 or 4 months ago from Ebay and there were only 3 or 4 pictures on it, But now I see there are lots.
Worst comes to worst, I'll just make a division based on date -- after all, I'll be there too and I don't think she'll have any secret pictures. But if I'm right above, I'd like to do it that way.
2) Also, I thought for 3 years I had been setting my date wrong in the laptop but it seems like the sate isn the Samsung WB-35F is not set the way the laptop is: That is, I finally learned witht he latptop to set the date and time at home and just change the timezone when I travel.
But this one, the Samsung camera, displayed on the screen the time from back home when I did that, and it seemed to want me to put in the local time in the time setting. Is that what I do???? And it 's different from the laptop????
It has settings for Home timezone and visiting timezone
On 3/31/19 9:53 AM, micky wrote:

How about a new memory card? Keep the one you use.
[snip]
On 3/31/2019 11:44 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Exactly what I would suggest.
I have many different SD cards for various cameras I own and can swap all cards. Though, I normally don't loan my possessions, if I did, a separate card is the best method. Then they can download their shots and footage to their own PC, erase the card and return the camera and card to owner.

Return the camera - they keep their memory card with their pics .. The memory cards are too cheap these days to NOT have extras. John T.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 12:30:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

To whom?

They do?

Who has these extras and what good do they do?
Does that mean they should have extras, or that they do have extras?

And 64 gig cards are not so cheap. Cheap compared to what they cost a few years ago but not cheap on an absolute scale.

If you are not shooting movies and you download the card fairly regularly, why would you need 64g? Buy a few 16g cards for a couple bucks each and they will hold thousands of pictures each.
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 14:08:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yup. ... if I didn't slip a decimal a 16 gig card will hold ~ 4,000 photos ; or several hours of video. ... but I'm sure that Micky will find that RAW format is absolutely essential ... :-) John T.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 14:08:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sometimes I record live events, like parades and other things. And I never know in advance when I will do that.
I haven't filled my card yet, in the middle of doing this, but I've run down my battery. Now I have two spare batteries and a charger that works off of AC or cigarette lighter.

That is why I wondered. My battery dies long before I can record 32 gig of movie. If you have to stop to charge/change the battery, throw in another chip in the break. The reality is I have never filled 32g if I started my vacation empty and we stay gone 2-3 weeks. I doubt you could fill a 16g chip in a still camera no matter how long you were gone ... unless you are Asian ;-)

Just back the card up on your computer, wipe the SD card and let the other people use it, then wipe the card when you get it back and restore your pictures ... if you really want them there at all. Once I have downloaded pictures to my computer and back that directory up, I usually wipe the camera card anyway. That way you won't be somewhere away from home and suddenly run out of space on the camera with a bunch of new pictures you want and a shitload of old pictures you already have at home. Camera disk management is usually crappy and deleting a bunch of pictures without deleting them all takes forever.