Some things I learned this week

  It's a lot easier to stand a 16 foot 4x4 up in the hole than it is to stand it up and then drop it in the hole . I have bruises to prove that . Slide a board into the hole for the butt end of the timber to slide down so you don't drag a lot of dirt (mud , rocks , etc) back down into the hole you dug .   Make sure the bottom 3-4 feet of the posts is plumb . Most timbers that length are not straight anyway . You can pull the tops into alignment as you frame the roof .   After a rainstorm your holes will be filled with water and muck . (I already knew this , just had it reinforced.)   The 1x4's you bought for use on the roof make dandy bracing while the concrete sets - and while you're leaning a ladder against one of those timbers to cut a ledge to set your framing members on .   No matter how much progress you make in a day , your wife thinks this is taking too long .
Reply to
Terry Coombs