Towable house

There is no window at that level and no passersby either.

Reply to
Jake56

Yes there is. Look at the photo of the loft just below: The lofted bedroom is up the ladder beside the kitchen.

Then read: Natural light floods into the tiny home through windows on all four sides of the home, including the lofted bedroom and clear entry door.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Review the photo captioned 'The lofted bedroom is up the ladder beside the kitchen.' You might have to wait for the passerby, preferably a plumbing inspector.

Reply to
rbowman

Here, real estate taxes are on the land and all permanent structures. It's calculated based on the price you paid when you bought the property (plus annual increases for increases in the value of the property).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Here the land is taxed at one value depending on the usage and the buildings at whatever the county decides the building is worth.

Cars are taxed with a seperate bill when you get a tag. Not sure about a car tax if it is just sitting around without a tag.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No so dissimilar from here. I have experience only with residential real estate.

They call that a "fee" here (but it's probably a tax, in effect). It's based on the (IIRC) MSRP of the car when it was new.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

There are some places where assessed valuation does not go up until yo usell the property. It encourages improvements and rewards ownership but also makes it seem harder to move to another house or condo.

Until now, Indiana was the only state I knew of that taxed ownership of cars. Registration and plates in states I've lived in are not dependent on the value of the car.

Reply to
micky

The government gets money and call it a fee or tax, it ammounts to the same thing.

About like if I shoot someone on the edge of a 10 story building and he falls over. What did he die of, the bullet, hitting the ground from the fall, or a heart attack on the way down. He is still dead and I probably would be charged with killing him even if the bullet was only in his leg.

I think our county actually calls the car money a tax. Unless it is a relative, you can not even give anything that requires a title (another fee/tax) to someone with out paying a tax/fee. A coworker gave a boat trailer to a friend of his that di d ot have very much money. The fellow brought the trailer back and said he could not afford it. The tag people wanted around $ 100 for some kind of county tax, not counting the title transfer fee and tag fee.

If you add up all the fees and taxes you pay in one form or another to the government, They get well over half your paycheck.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The price of the yearly tag is not depending on the price of the car, but the same for all. To make sure the county gets the tax based on the price of the car is why the tax is added on to the bill when you get the tag. In other words, no tax paid, no tag.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

When I lived in CT it was taxed if registered. No car tax or inspections here in FL.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well, there is sales tax when you buy a car in Md. for example, but no tax on the car any other year.

Reply to
micky

Yeah, but it's an australian micro house on wheels, so Greg's line about getting it registered as an RV isnt even possible, it has no engine to drive it and it wouldn’t be registrable as a caravan either given that it isn't road worthy. You would have to get a permit to move it on the road in most states.

And no point tax wise anyway because no tax is payable on it. Tax would be payable on the land it was parked on if you owned the land but not if someone else let you have it on their larger block of land or even in their backyard for say a relative of friend etc. The tax they pay wouldn’t change when it was parked on their land like that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Many things are just what you say they are.

A friend got his contractors license. He was looking into putting up some modular homes. Went to the factory. There were 2 production lines side by side. Almost no difference in them except one line was called modular homes and the other mobile homes. The mobile homes got titles and the modular ones did not.

In the county I live in there are lots of restrictions on were the mobile homes can be put, but not so much for modular homes. Probably

99% of the ones that buy mobile homes never move them once set up. If you look at the two, most would have a very hard time telling the difference.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I see there are 23 states plus DC that don't charge personal property tax on automobiles. That leaves 27 states that do.

That site didn't state about sales tax; figure virtually all have it for the one-time charge.

As I suppose most, KS collects the personal property tax when you get your tags; only $10 or so for title and tag fee, the personal property tax bite is pretty steep and based on a lookup table for the vehicle. Rate will be somewhat different on county-by-county basis.

Reply to
dpb

We don't have personal property tax, but the fee for the tags every year is something like $150 for my 2004 Highlander. It amounts to a tax, since it's nowhere near that much to process the tag renewal.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I guess it evens out around here. It is 36 for the tag renewal . They give you a sticker to put on the plate with the new year. Then property tax that depends on what the vehicle value is by a chart.

Just about the same but by a different name. Overall I think ours is a little less, but not a whole lot.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 21:55:59 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Good one

Reply to
invalid unparseable

If you don't have tags, you don't pay the tag tax. My neighbor has a race car in his driveway that is exactly that way. The village tried to screw with him about having a "derelict vehicle" because it was up on jack stands but the county code specifically allows off road vehicles on your property. He keeps it off the tires because they would flat spot and his tires cost more than some people's cars. The car itself is way up in the Benz range in price. I helped him with the code citations and the village slinked away.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have never been in a state like that. In fact that is why they have "Save our Homes" or "Prop <sumpin>" laws, to cap assessments at some low number for homesteaded properties. It is 3% in Florida.

I think Virginia had a "personal property tax" too and that included cars. Most states do tax on weight or some other metric tho when you get your plates. Don't be confused, the main function of tags on cars is a tax receipt. Everything else is bullshit.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not exactly true. A car coming into Florida, new or one you brought from up north will get an impact fee (tax) and that is a few hundred bucks. The only way out of that is if you have an old tag that was still valid, even if expired (not replaced by another tag). I still have an old tag here (~20 years old) that would get me out of an impact fee if I wanted to add another vehicle to the fleet.

Reply to
gfretwell