The tale of gas cans continues:

I have a cheap Poulan and it is a piece of crap. Some companies make low cost item like that and high cost hold up much better.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

ANd that 50 hours better not be in one week!!! The duty cycle on the crap has to be less than one minute cutting and 3 resting to last even that long on some of the cheap (not necessarilly inexpensive) brands - which translates to a month or two of casual wood-cutting.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

OK I really have never taken a little 2 smoke apart. I just know old outboards.

Reply to
gfretwell

After Irma and Charley I had several cords of wood but it was just small enough to drag with my truck, not fireplace ready. It took two

18 wheeler trailers to haul it away after Charley. Irma was 2 big claw truck beds full.
Reply to
gfretwell

I had a Remington 33 that wasn't up to the task. After fooling with it for a couple years I put it on the curb. Someone took it .. Good Luck.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:47:55 -0500, Snag posted for all of us to digest...

All Stihl in the fire co, chain saws, chop saws, etc. Of course they get a regular workout and maintenance if they don't start in two pulls they are put OOS until repaired.

Reply to
Tekkie©

My Stihl MS250 cost just about twice what a comparable sized Poulan does ... and I expect it to last at least 5X as long . My "old" Stihl is an 025 , at least 20 years old . It was given to me by a neighbor that couldn't keep it running ... after I finished wearing out the original motor , I put a new one in . And when I got the new saw I went up a size to an 18" bar on the old one so they'd use the same size . Both work extremely well for what I do - as long as I take care to keep the chains sharp and the bar (slot) tight .

Reply to
Snag

Unless you know the product it is easy to get screwed over.

I bought a house with about 1.5 acres to mow. Bought a John Deere low end mower. Transmission wore out after a few years. Found out many people had the same problem. At the time I did not know Deere would make a piece of crap, but they did.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The mower I bought was a Deere from the Deere dealer and not Lowes. However it was the same one they sell. I did not know at the time that Deere would make a piece of junk and put their name on it.

Now most anything under $ 10,000 by Deere is consumer grade. I just bought a x590 and still think it is consumer grade, but expect it to last a long time for me.It is just one of the higher consumer grades.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I made a run to the next town for ethanol free gas, and fueled up the push mower yesterday.

To my surprise it started first pull. Yes, I replaced the carb with a cheap chinese one last summer, ran it only on ethanol free, and ran it dry before storing, but still that was a pleasant surprise.

Reply to
TimR

My lawn mowers and snow blower virtually ALWAYS start first try but I've always (for the last 15 or more years) used ethanol free gasoline. I drain the bowl of the blower and store them all with full tank - usually with a shot of sea-foam.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have been using the ethanol free for a few years in all the small engines and even put the Sta-bil in it . No problems. For the 4 cycle engines like the tiller and pressure washer that are only used a few times a year I let it run dry. For the 2 cycle engines I have heard not to run them dry as the oil in the gas does the lubercating and it is bad to let them run dry.

For my riding mower I just make sure I double dose it with Sta-bil and have a full tank when I store it for about 3 or 4 months. It has always started very easy. One thing I do is I have a solar battery tender that I hook to the battery so it is fully charged when I first start it after storage.

Before switching to the E-free gas I always had a hard time starting the engines if Ileft gas in them for a long period of time.

I have even started filling my truck with the e-free as I may not drive it enough in a month to use a full tank of gas.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

With ethanol gas most small engines run too lean too - making them harder to start, making them difficult to idle, AND lowering the power. It gets even worse when the "greenies" restrict the jets even further - and there is NO adjustment available to compensate.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Here's a few :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Ebay has some also.

Dean Hoffman

These appear to be hot sellers for the 99.999% of Americans who know you don't pour gas on a fire from a 5 gallon can.

gfretwell