The tale of gas cans continues:

micky

.. not news ...

I wonder if the New York billionaire has ever actually _seen_ a jerry-can .. let alone fill one ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

"One of the lawsuits was filed by Karen Kornegay of Louisiana, whose

19-year-old son Dylan died in 2010 after suffering severe burns over 80 percent of his body. A can he had used to ignite a bonfire allegedly exploded and sprayed him with flaming gasoline."

They're going to legislate the Darwin Awards out of existence.

Reply to
rbowman

I cringed - when I saw my retired neighbour - - try to revive a backyard fire-pit fire - with a little 1/4 cup of gasoline ... he narrowly avoided having _ himself _ explode in flames ... right in front of his little grand-children ... He may not remember ? .. I'll never forget. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Jeez, I thought the plastic ones were bad. Time to tuck away a few of those while I still can..

Reply to
Francis S

Won't affect me. Instead of those damned cans I just use a soup bowl when I need gas for the mower. I drive slow coming home though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I lost patience with the article when they started talking about the moron pouring gas on a fire from a 5 gallon can.

What changed? Gas cans have had the CARB device on them for years. I see a big surge in the sale of diesel cans and red paint if this really made the current situation worse.

Reply to
gfretwell

Of course, the next paragraph she admits that her son was an idiot. But you didn't include that because it doesn't fit your narrative.

I've been using a 5gal gas can with the now mandatory flame arrester for a couple of years. Works great, easy to use - no problems whatsoever.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes, but her son was terminally stupid so we should spend millions to replace every gas can in existence "just in case"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Part of the problem with this country is that the government wants to protect all the dumb ones. That lets them breed more dumb ones. Then there is the law suits that follow that reward the dumb ones.

I am just glad I have a few gas cans of the old design. I have one new small 2 gallon can and have spilled gas out of that than any of the other ones.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

See, that's a false narrative. In fact, you are just plain wrong.

Nobody is replacing anything. New cans are required to have these safety features, but nobody is coming to collect your old ones.

Nobody is spending "millions".

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not yet, but be cautious. There was a lawsuit and new regulations already.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It depends on what you are filling. On a lawn mower with a lot of mass it might be OK. On a chain saw, not so much. I suppose it also depends on the design of the nozzle. Some you really have to push in hard on to get the gas flowing. Fortunately I still have several old style nozzles for yard equipment but when I am filling my boat I use a big funnel and pour it straight out of the can. It never occurred to me to pour gas on a fire, from a can or from anything else for that matter. If I was going to use an accelerant, diesel soaked into an old shop rag or even a ball of dryer lint would work better anyway. I used to use sawdust soaked in paraffin in a small can (tuna size) to start fires in my fire place.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am still not sure what's new. The EPA has been requiring the CARB nozzle on new gas cans since 2009.

Most of my cans don't even have nozzles on them so I am not sure how this would affect me anyway. I fill my boat (where most of the gas goes) with a funnel.

Reply to
gfretwell

I bought a new plastic gas can last fall. I gave my daughter my tractor and gas can, and needed a new can for my push mower.

It's got a spout, and a little lever you hold down and press the lip against the edge, and it works fine. It was easy and I didn't spill.

They've obviously improved. The last time I used one of those I gave up and got my funnel.

Best of all, I found a gas station that sells ethanol free gas. I put a good bit of work into repairing that push mower and want to try to keep it going.

If I get my gas string trimmer working this summer I may just buy the premix. For the small amount I use, mixing oil isn't worth the hassle.

Reply to
TimR

I have said this before but go to a pharmacy and get a 10cc syringe. It makes mixing gas by the tank easy. Figure out how much the tank holds in ML and do a little math. I wrote the number on the machines with a sharpie.

Reply to
gfretwell

You make it sound easy but not everyone has a Sharpie.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Cut your finger and write in blood. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Since all my 2 strokes are Stihl (except one 45 yr old Homelite chainsaw) I buy their premeasured bottles . 12.8 oz per 5 gallons , I use a 2.5 gal container and half a bottle . I also mix my gas (87 oct reg and 92 oct premium , both non-ethanol) 50/50 since Stihl recommends

89 or better .
Reply to
Snag

I burn enough gas in my boat that it doesn't get stale so I still buy E-10 and mix as I go for yard equipment that doesn't get used nearly as much. My chain saw has a half liter tank so a 10cc shot of oil is perfect for it. (50:1) My Remington 2700 weed eater has a slightly smaller tank (414ml), uses 40:1 and it gets 10 CC too. Close enough.

Reply to
gfretwell