Gas Cans

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping a piece of plastic to cost that much

Reply to
Diamond

People can ask what they want, doesn't mean anybody is buying them, especially given that shipping will take a few days (or more, if the seller's a crook and waits for the supply to stabilize before sending).

Reply to
missingchild

Oh, well. I had a couple vintage metal gas cans, I found on the curb. A couple years ago, I gave them to a friend who has a repair garage. I'll suggest he ebay them off.

Note, it's not legal to send through the US mail anything that has held gasoline, ever. I got my shipment refused, when I tried to mail a carburetor that hadn't had gasoline in it, in several years.

.

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping a piece of plastic to cost that much

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just about everything on ebay is overpriced these days. I quit using ebay at least 5 years ago.

Reply to
luke

I've sent and received several carburetors via priority mail. Maybe you answered the question wrong when they asked what was in teh box....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Maybe there are cheaper also?

Once they had a Kodak digital camera at an odd-lots store (Ollies) for

50 dollars, reconditioned. I checked what the price on line was and found new ones for as low as 70, or maybe 50, and reconditioned ones for as much as 150. Very same model and color and accesories.
Reply to
micky

Honesty is seldom wrong.

.

I've sent and received several carburetors via priority mail. Maybe you answered the question wrong when they asked what was in teh box....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Check the prices on the old "schick"razors?

Reply to
Alex Michael

They may be reflecting the fact that a major gas can maker in NE Oklahoma just went out of business. They were supposedly making a large percentage of the gas cans in the US.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I did a quick internet search of some stores around here (middle of NC) and they are about $ 17 to $ 20 for a 5 gallon plastic can. That is still way too much for a gob of plastic. I forgot exectally what I payed for a one gallon can at the start of the summer, but think it was over $ 10. I went to several stores during some shopping as I could not believe the price at the first store.

Maybe it has to do with getting the things certified for some kind of government regulations on not emitting any vapors or some such foolishness. All I know is I spill a lot of gas out of that new type spout while trying to fill up my weedeater.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Same out here in Silicon Valley for the ubiquitous CARB-approved Blitz five-gallon gas cans.

All of a sudden, the price seems to have jumped five bucks!

BTW, I HATE the nozzles on these new fangled five-gallon gas cans. You can't pour five gallons into a vehicle anyway (too high up), so, I siphon into a car.

Since I never use the nozzle that comes with the gas can, I wonder if you guys know of a CAP that I can use to replace the nozzle.

Any ideas where to find a replacement cap for my five-gallon Blitz plastic gasoline cans?

Reply to
Danny D.

There are some interisting vidios on youtube about the gas cans. Start looking here.

Ralph Mowery

The best source for caps and old style nozzles are cans you see on the side of the road. Usually they have been run over and the can itself is trash but there is a good chance the cap survived.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sound goods. Any tips on where to start looking?

Reply to
Vic Smith

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:10:28 -0500, Ralph Mowery replied:

The guy is right. The 5-gallon Blitz gas cans are unusable!

No wonder they file for bankruptcy today!

Ann R.

I've mentioned this before:

While foraging through the neighborhood the evening before heavy trash day, I scored a military jerry can.

Getting it home, I discovered the following stenciled on the bottom:

III Army Sept 44

Maybe my humble jerry can helped George Patton liberate Bastonge. I like to think so.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have some 5 gallon gas cans that happen to use the same sort of lid on a briggs and stratton mower, I swapped them by mistake.......

Reply to
bob haller

Fellow at work swapped his like that also.

His mower would run about enough to make one lap around his yard and would cut off. He could get it started and make another lap. At work he asked why and we told him to checkthe vent hole in his gas cap. The next day he told us that he had swapped the two lids. The gas can cap did not have the hole in it like the mower cap.

Did you have trouble running you mower after the swap ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Any place where a lot of lawn care or boat guys drive.

Reply to
gfretwell

They are bankrupt because they got sued into bankruptcy. Some moron was pouring gasoline on a fire out of a 5 gallon can, it went up and he sued Blitz.

Reply to
gfretwell