The tale of gas cans continues:

Hey , whatever works for you . I use enough that it would be a PITA to mix it a tank at a time .

Reply to
Snag

Not so much here. I seldom use a whole tank of gas in either of them. I end up pouring the excess in the mower and running the little machine dry.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've got 2 3 gallon saferty gas cans that are likely older than some of our readers/contributors. Flame arresters, spring loaded fuel valve, all steel.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

<SNIP>

Echo also recommends 89/mid grade octane for their two-stroke machines.

I could never figure out why such low compression engines would need anything more than regular grade 87 octane gas. Is pre-ignition really a problem?

Echo also recommends using a higher grade of two stroke oil (ISO-L-EGD (ISO/CD 13738) and J.A.S.O. FD) instead of the cheap sludge I've always used in my 1960's vintage 70 HP Evinrude outboard that's still running like a champ.

Nonetheless, I've used the Echo-recommended oil in all my Echo lawn tools and they too are working fine.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Many years ago before the ethanol gas I heard many people say not to use the 'high test' gas in the small engines like lawn mowers, but just use the 'regular' as the high test will cause the engine to burn up. Is there anything to this, or do you just use any gas you want in the small engines, mixed with oil if needed for the 2 strokes ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Has any homeowner actually ever worn out the engine on a weed eater? They usually get tossed because of other things, just like cars.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 22:20:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Didn't you mean that not everyone *is* a Sharpie??

Reply to
Tekkie©

They were wrong. Premium never hurt an engine. In a 2 stroke, depending on the oil mix the actual octane of the fuel can drop something like 3 to 5 points - so 93 octane mixed gas is effectively

88 to 90 octane
Reply to
Clare Snyder

If like I used to be, they got tossed because they would not start. That was for the cheap ones.

After I retired and had time, I found out most of them needed the carborator cleaned out or some fuel line in the gas tank was bad.

Often the filter in the tank broke off and then let junk into the carborator.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My brother just retired from a long career in small engine repair and he would tell you that lots and lots of people have worn out or otherwise damaged the engine on a weed eater.

He has dozens of weed eaters, lawn mowers, chain saws, etc., laying around on his property because people drop them off for repair and then abandon them when they see the repair bill. He and I have a running joke where when I go for a visit, he tells me to grab a mower and run it around to earn my keep. He always points to the farm of push mowers, but last time I veered off and picked a riding mower so that I wouldn't have to set down my beer(s).

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Not so much with the line trimmer , but I quite often go thru over a tank of gas in the saws .

Reply to
Snag

If you get a buildup of carbon in the combustion chamber and top of the piston it can get higher . Run it hard with deposits and they can get hot enough to act as a glow plug .

Reply to
Snag

Yup , got one the neighbor wanted fixed . It still ran , but only at around half power . Had as much suction as compression when you pulled the rope .

Reply to
Snag

Once I found out carburetors are $20 on Amazon I won't screw with them. One possible exception is the one on my Honda "walk behind" that has a main jet you can run a tip cleaner through just by taking the bowl off. I am not sure why other manufacturers don't do that. I always did like Honda tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

If I am cleaning up after a hurricane or clearing out the canal I might burn a gallon of gas but usually it is just a few limbs. Sometime I just use my electric (taken off the pole saw) but my "Husqvarna" doesn't screw around. It gets the job done a lot faster.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sounds like reeds.

Reply to
gfretwell

Lots of them lost compression to the point they would not start without rther too - or the crankcase seals started to leak and they ran lean ANF had poor transfer. In other words they wore out. Quite a few of the cheap ones had a half life of about 75 hours. In 150 they were dead.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I was looking at the data tag on a Poulan chainsaw , it said the expected service life was 50 hours ... that was tied to emissions levels , but from personal experience that particular make/model isn't one I would ever buy again . My Stihl equipment has much better workmanship and materials .

Reply to
Snag

That trimmer motor has no reeds , the rings were so worn the most of the compression was lost by TDC . No other way that I know of it could have suction on the downstroke .

Reply to
Snag

Husky makes a damn fine saw ! I think the major difference between our use is that I cut several cords each year to heat my home .

Reply to
Snag