plastic gas cans

Page 1 of 2
I periodically store plastic gas cans with mower gas in 'em in the shed. These things typically have a vent cap that can be removed.
With the vent caps on, they sometimes plump up like a ball-park frank over a campfire because of expansion from warm air in the enclosed space. Should I go ahead and vent 'em---knowing that at some point I'll likely have no gas in the can from evaporation? Or, leave 'em closed?
If I do open the vent, do I in fact lose gas, over a period of time? With the vents open, I don't smell gas, so don't know exactly what's going on. Maybe there is no problem with leaving the vent caps open.

I have had it with plastic gas cans. I have one with where the nozzle can store inside the main cap, but this winter when it inflated, it somehow blew gas/oil mix up the inside of the inverted nozzle out onto the garage floor. And even if that is not a problem they almost always leak from the base of the nozzle when pouring.
Your best bet is probably a metal safety can and funnel.
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /

over a

Should I

gas
With
on.
I'd love to be able to find one.

shed.
can
garage
the
i got mine at an autoparts store.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:09:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

TrueValue hardware has them around here.

shed.
can
garage
the
"metal gas can" - 906 hits in .35 seconds - google
metal gas can (no " " marks around metal gas can) - 2,780,000 hits in .36 seconds - google
Steve

What kinda world is it where you have to mail order a metal gas can????? :-)

A kind where people who create good search engines are about to make billions of dollars.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

in
We were in Sunnyside, Nevada, camping. That is just due northeast of Rachel, Nevada, and just south of Lund, Nevada. IOW, it is out in the middle of nowhere. We saw dust approaching from the southeast, the direction of Rachel. After a time, we saw a brown UPS truck barreling down the dirt road shortcut between Rachel and Lund. Rachel has about 900 people, and Lund, probably less than that.
For these people who have a phone line and a UPS truck that comes a couple of times a week, why drive 180 miles round trip to Ely, Nevada, for a gas can?
Everyone doesn't live in the city. For those waaaaay out there, there's always the Internet.
Steve

down
Yeah, but I live in Rochester NY! I've searched for those cans at 3 large auto supply places, NAPA, West Marine, Boat U.S., Wal Mart, K-Mart, two lawnmower dealerships, the BORG (Home Depot), Lowe's, and a number of old-fashioned hardware stores. I wonder if my county has some sort of nonsensical fire code that bans metal containers.
They used to have them at Allyn's Ace Hardware, on Monroe Avenue, near Goodman. You know, what used to be Shumway Hardware. Of course, that's closed now, and replaced by a Rentway. Wonder what happened to Ed Allyn? He was having some trouble with theft.
If you only want a gallon can, I've been known to spray paint a Thompsons Water Seal can, they still have metal cans.
I'll let you know if I find any. The largest I've seen in metal in the last couple years has been two galons.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Doug Kanter wrote:

Cheap world. Or one where most people feel that plastic is as good or better than metal.

shed.
can
garage
the
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?ae899
RB wrote:

They are designed to flex as you have noticed. However they also have a fill limit and if you overfill them you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. Most allow you to fill them about 3/4 full or a little less.
I have one that you don't need to remove the cap to fill and it self stops when the mower is full. I love it.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
<snip>

Do you recall where you got it or who makes it? I'd like to find one of those.
--
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.

blue wrote:

I got it about three or four years ago at Lowes. I don't know if they still carry them.
I checked on line and the first hit was:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gas_can.cfm
Which is what I have.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan writes:

Ooooo! Banned in CA, DE, NY, PA, MD and ME! Nassty gas can.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Doesn't say a thing about about being banned in those states. It says they can not be shipped to them.
Of course, you have to wonder why.
This bizarre piece of legislation in Maine, which is apparently trying to make itself into California (not a good thing) imposes testing and record keeping on the manufacturer that is I'd guess is onerous enough to cause them to opt out of selling here.
http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rcn/apa/06/096/096c155.doc
The tree huggers got another piece of their agenda enacted into law.
RB
Retiredff wrote:

RB writes:

Yes, you also admit condensing moisture with enough temp swing. Gasoline goes out, water goes in. Nature abhors purity.
Keep the caps on. The vapor pressure is significant, but inherently limited. A commercial product should be designed to contain it.