That'll be 69 dollars

I was really pissed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer charged me 69 dollars for. f***in' computers.........!!!

Reply to
Capri

see the irony, or is it? LOL

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

Too bad you didn't know this before now, but at least you will the next time: most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, etc) will read the "Check Engine" codes for you for FREE. Of course, then you get to fix the problem, too...

Reply to
Doug Miller

My mechanic doesn't charge for checking computer.

Reply to
Norminn

did you tell them you like to be kissed when you get f***ed

| >>I was really pissed today. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I rarely | >>use it and ity only has 35k miles on it. Any way after a period of non | >>use (about 3 months) I turned the engine on this morning and got red | >>light flashing on the dash saying Check Engine for Service. Now | >>accordingf to the maintenance book I have the only service this vehicle | >>needs now is oil changes, air filter and pvc valve changes, The light | >>COULD be indicative of the onboard computer reporting something more | >>serious with the engine. So I took the truck on down to the Chevy | >>dealer today to have them check it out. 6 hour later I went back to | >>pick up the truck and was nothing wrong with the truck, just a stuck | >>wiring, which they unstuck and for a diagnostic check on the computer | >>charged me 69 dollars for. f***in' computers.........!!! | >>

| > Too bad you didn't know this before now, but at least you will the next time: | > most of the major chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, | > etc) will read the "Check Engine" codes for you for FREE. Of course, then you | > get to fix the problem, too... | >

| My mechanic doesn't charge for checking computer.

Reply to
jart ames

Oops.....just checked with the boss. $60 for computer check, $4,000 machine plus annual upgrades for new cars.

Reply to
Norminn

Exactly! Computers and diag's aint cheap, think a plumber would diagnose a problem for less?

Reply to
Al

Why a dealer? Chances are, a local shop would have been cheaper. I never go to the dealer unless it is warranty work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This now seems the norm with american car manufacturers-dealers, that they will get you at both ends, when they sell you the vehicle, and then when it needs service-parts.

Next time this happens my friend, disconnect your Battery for 20-30 seconds, and then reconnect. This normally will clear the computer, and the "Service Engine Soon" Light, and all you'll have to do after that is re-set your clock.

Most likely what happened that after sitting so long, there was a slight misfire, or slightly running rough upon start-up, and the Computer saw this as a problem. It has happened to me. After sitting too, the gas starts getting a little crappy. Throw some fresh gas, and try to drive it more often, even if it's just for a few miles every week. Hope this helps. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Thats a great solution, up there with putting a sticker over the light so you don't see it. The light is on for a reason. It might not be an important reason (mine comes on every 500-1000 miles because the gas cap isn't tight enough) but a reason.

Reply to
Toller

If it make you feel any better a local mechanic (not dealer) charged the wife $150 just to reset the check engine light - nothing else was done to her car. My usual mechanic wouldn't have charged her but she saw this wonderful add on the paper. Anyway, the check engine light came on again but this time I have the Equus 3100 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader on order form Amazon.com.

Reply to
# Fred #

But it is also true that it could have come on for a condition that existed only temporarily and on some cars the light will not go back off even if the original reason it came on no longer exists. If there is a "real and persistent" reason for it to be on then resetting it will be temporary and it will come back on again.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

"Stuck wiring"?

WTF is that?

Did they at least grease it up so it won't stick again?

I think it was more than the wiring which got stuck.

Next time wear a condom.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

GMs used to read out the computer error in flashes of the check engine light. I haven't seen one in a couple years but all you used to need was a paper clip to jumper out two pins on the plug under the dash.

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
Goedjn

Yep, mine will do that too. The "check engine" light will come on due to an emissions problem. As it turns out the gas cap is a little loose. Tighten the cap and within a day or two the light will go out.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

Did you think it would be free?

Reply to
Phil Yarbrough

I mean really .................

The mechanic has spent years of his life, scraped knuckles, burns, bumps, money for schools, money for additional model years, thousands for tools, a lot for the computer analyzer, and a ton of money if he owns his own shop.

Just how much does he think he is "entitled" to?

How greedy can one human being be?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Buy a $100 code reader, it'll be the best investment you'll ever make for that truck. Mine has paid for itself many times over, loaning it to friends, using it for tune-ups. Just remember, every car and truck made after 1996(?) uses that code reader, and cars made after a certain date (2008?) will use a different code reader, so the dance with the dealer continues.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Consider you got a bargain. A full diagnostic can be $150, especially at a dealership. Check Engine lights should not be ignored.

Reply to
Phisherman