Suggestions please: Alternate equivalents to Varathane "Colors In Plastic" (polyurethane) paint?

Not a good idea... (Perhaps I should clarify: my description of the problem would be different if I hadn't already been successful in preventing bubbles from forming in the paint prior to its application.)

Two $30+ Purdy's. One synthetic, the other natural bristle. The best they have in my local HD store. HD is not the ideal place to shop for quality, I realize, but could a better brush than these really make a difference in a problem of this description?

Initially.. clean but not obsessively so. But as I've kept doubling and re-doubling my efforts to assiduously control for 'this variable and that variable', so as to get at least a handle on the problem... well let's just say I don't know how much cleaner it could get beyond what I have since been getting it.
Ken
I have had similar experiences with different "urethanes". Varathane is a Urethane modified alkyd. Some causes of "pinholing" are:
Poreous surface/substrate - material gets into the poreous substrate, the surface of the applied paint "surface cures" (skins), then the trapped solvents break through this "skin" after the material is past optimal flow point. Adding more and more volatile solvents may compound the problem. DuPont makes a product for the automotive finishing industry called Fish-Eye Eliminator (flow modifier), It works quite well. Also most makers of Urethane have "flow modifier" solvents.
Applying too thickly. Again, trapped solvents must breakthrough the surface skin.
Excessive volume of hot or warm air will increase surface drying and compound the problem.
Try thinning as per label, don't use heat or fans if possible or use them indirectly (don't blow heated air across the surface). Also try putting on a very thin coat (20% thinned) to fill surface porosity (?).
Also try foam brush or mohair applicating "pads". I have had good success with them for small jobs.
Larger items are probably best sprayed.
FYI, I am a Journeyman Painter (28years), NACE Certified Coating Inspector. I know of what I speak!
--

"Ken Moiarty" < snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca> wrote in message