source of zeolite laundry additive?

Hi All,

Seems to be out of stock everywhere.

And

is missing in action.

Anyone know of another source of zeolite for the wash?

Many thanks,

-T

Can't help you with that, but I suspect the shortage of zeolite is because... (sit down for this...)

Zeolite is a key component of the semi portable and larger "oxygen concentrators" which have been in pretty high demand because of Covid.

(and my head hurts real hard when I read the descriptions of how it works, just like when I try visualizing how the gas flame refrigerators get that ammonia/water mix to cool down...)

danny burstein

"oxygen concentrators". Damn!

Thank you for the help!

It is interesting and I recall using one back in the lab for other gas separation. I see there are many with different molecular size and the laundry use is for removal of calcium and magnesium to soften the water.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It is used in most O2 generators. My wife has the R2D2 looking unit that plugs in the wall and it is a zeolite exchange device. The process is actually pretty simple. Under pressure zeolite absorbs nitrogen, leaving the oxygen (and most other trace gasses I assume) in the chamber under pressure. The machine expels the high pressure O2 down the hose and then with the pressure off the nitrogen comes out of the zeolite to be expelled out the back.

Reply to
gfretwell

Fascinating!