Sharp R21LCF fuse replacement

Hi All,

We had a power flash at out house (lights flickered). And our Sharp R21LCF microwave went out at the same time.

Looking at the service manual for my Sharp R21LCF,

I see that cause of a completely dead machine is the Monitor Fuse (figure O-1 at the bottom of page 9).

Why they call it a "Monitor Fuse" is beyond me.

The manual says (page 12):

If monitor fuse is replaced, the monitor switch must also be replaced. Use part FFS-BA033WRKZ as an assembly.

Here it is on Amazon:

It shows both the switch and the fuse separately.

Why can't I just replace the fuse (1-1 on page 34)?

Many thanks,

-T

maybe because they know that if there is a short that blows out the fuse, often the switch is also damaged.

are you sure that the fuse is the only thing damaged? or is it just the _first_ thing that you found?

I would jumper the fuse with another fuse temporarily and see if everything else works, or if the new fuse immediately fails

It seems to me those switches are UNDERATED for the amount of power involved.

I think they are saving pennies counting on the fact that the door switch usually does not make or break while power is flowing. In other words avoid opening the door while the oven is running.

makolber

Where did you see the rating for the switch? Your idea that it's because they think the switch could also have been damaged sounds right. Or it could be that they make more money on parts by making you but the two, I guess.

Reply to
trader_4

Follow up:

Well now, four screws on the back and one screw on the side of the cover and the cover pulls back and up and off. From the back, the fuse is staring at you in the upper left corner.

Ace Hardware Eaton Bussmann Microwave Fuse 1/4" x 1-1/4" 20A upc 5172-24950 $4.49 for two BP/ABC-20

And now I have a spare fuse. And I know how to change the lamp too, if that ever burns out.

And to answer my question, there is no reason why I have to replace the entire assembly. Hmmmmmmm

Thank you all for the tips. This was an extremely easy fix!

-T