Soiltac soil stabilizer

Has anyone in these groups used or become familiar with a soil erosion control product called Soiltac? If so, I'd like to know how it has worked for you. I'm trying to find a way to stop some serious erosion of a stream bed that's caused (of course) by the upstream parking lots that the local big-time developers have laid out.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis Indianpolis snipped-for-privacy@iupui.edu

Reply to
willisl

================ If you don't get an answer here you can try calling your local Agricultural Extension Agent. They can usually point you in the right direction.

Reply to
Zëbulon

The website for the company that makes Soiltac is

(you gotta love Google! :>) I'm also interested in this product as I have erosion behind a riverwall, requiring a lot of digging and lost of grass going into the winter/spring storm season here in Alabama, and I really appreciate Lynn's question, which brought this product to our attention.

It appears that you can buy Soiltac in everything from a small sample size to a tanker full!

Reply to
Momgoose

Tackifiers are used to hold mulch on slopes to protect them from raindrops. If you are looking at stream bed erosion, your best shot is to place some boulders in the stream to slow the water velocity. If you are getting stream bank erosion, you might think about revetments, riffles, or vegetation. Willow plug planted 12" O/C will only take a couple of years to knit a bank together.

Call your local soil conservation office. It's listed in the federal part of the blue pages, but administered through your county.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Depending on where you live and whether any existing regulations are enforced, you may or may not be allowed to do work in the stream bed without a permit. Also, the developers should have been required to submit a storm water management plan and/or one for sediment control. That said, here the main source of excess runoff is logging rather than development. Lots of luck getting the regulations enforced when the runoff is doing damage on your property.

Reply to
Ann

[....]
[....]

this part implies of how a yankee government is to protect.

[....]

this part shows the reality of living under a yankee government.

Reply to
Jim

However, getting a permit is a fairly straightforward process, if you give it enough lead time and submit sensible plans. You local Soil Conservation District field rep can provide you with sample plans for erosion control and stream enhancement that assure almost automatic approval. If you want to install a small scale hydro plant, you have a lot of hoops to jump through, but if you just want to stabilize a stream bed or stream bank, the process is pretty simple.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

"Depending on where you live" also applies to the permit process and whether there is competent "guidance" available.

Reply to
Ann

DSC is a federal agency, and the available resources should be the same anywhere in the USA.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Nonsense. Riparian laws exist worldwide, in fact they're more strictly enforced most other places. The US is fairly lenient and and rather lax about water course rights... in some parts of the world you interfere with a stream so small you can piss across it and your neighbors will stretch your neck with no repercussions whatsoever.

Reply to
Sheldon

Jim's religion seems to know no bounds.

Reply to
unsettled

yankee guy-type government has laws and procedures for the purpose of allowing immigration in a prescribed and controlled manner. yet we have a term describing some 12 million persons residing within the boundaries of yankee land. can you say, illegal immigrate? can you also say unenforced laws and procedures?

Jim connects himself with no religion. just thought you might enjoy being confused by that fact.

Reply to
Jim

Here's part of one of those religions of yours, in your own words: "this part shows the reality of living under a yankee government."

You don't even know what "religion" is pal.

"Sociologists and anthropologists see religion as an abstract set of ideas, values, or experiences developed as part of a cultural matrix. Primitive religion was indistinguishable from the sociocultural acts where custom and ritual defined an emotional reality."

You're a primitive all right.

Reply to
unsettled

What I'd written (in part) was: "Depending on where you live and whether any existing regulations are enforced, you may or may not be allowed to do work in the stream bed without a permit. ..."

Afaik, the SCS (Now, named the National Resources Conservation Service) has no standing to issue permits. My county's Conservation District does issue some minor water permits, but it's under the supervision of the state Dept. of Environmental Protection.

Reply to
Ann

first I'm not your pal.

religion is that which man has defined. religion is what man be they sociologists or anthropologists have realized to be traditions of man taught by man in order to give man power over men. that cultural matrix is exactly the order of man having power over man by teaching and spreading lies and half truths playing on the emotional reality of the confused lost and scared who seek safety or the protection from that which they fear.

yes, primitive enough to keep a great distance between myself and the word religion when used by man so as to further the agenda of man.

but don't worry. I don't expect you or any other yankee culture worshiper to even begin to understand the things which last forever and really matter.

now amuse me by telling me about your sports-guy hero and the other things of your materialist world you adore.

Reply to
Jim

Yes, and if your stream is navigable or tributary to navigable waters, you will also need a permit from the Corps of Engineers. Your local conservation services field rep has all the forms for permit applications, and details of acceptable projects. If your goal is actually soil conservation and watershed improvement, not a new boat dock or trout pond, you will find the permit process is pretty straightforward. If you can't read the handouts, or just want to be a jerk, hell will freeze over before you get a permit.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

You also don't recognize sarcasm unless it is part of your narrowly construed definition, pal.

Precisely as you're practicing it right here, pal.

Boy you're really good at doing precisely what you make believe you're against, pal.

Right, your religions are so much better than anyone else's.

LMAO

Your religions will all die with you, pal.

You're barking up the wrong tree, pal. And you're barking mad too, pal. Anyway, you're already amusing yourself by pretending to be better than everyone else, pal.

Reply to
unsettled

your usage of the term pal only shows you to be another rude sarcastic arrogant yankee guy-type.

what you think you think is yours however what you think I know you will never understand.

Reply to
Jim

According to your religion, yes. Reality, however, is otherwise, pal.

Golly gee, you finally got ONE thing right, pal.

Cogito ergo sum!

Understand? What, in the internal context of your mental illness. I pray to God never. I notice that you're still pretending to be better than everyone else, but fact is you're just an ordinary sinner like all the rest of us, pal!

Reply to
unsettled

?... Your local

Nope, I just double-checked my county CD's website. "Some [publications] are also available from your local Conservation District office. All are available at the DEP website 'Bookstore',"

I didn't write that it would be difficult to get a permit. I've never applied for one, but have had people say the process is a nuisance. And, certain permits are difficult. It took an adjoining township "forever" to get one to remove some gravel bars.

Reply to
Ann