Sears incompetence

post a jpg

Reply to
kenji

Some Balkan or East European off - the - boat that doesn't know what they're doing...

Reply to
Gregory Morrow

No one ever came to look at it. They rejected the job sight unseen.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

No I would think that since the name of the sub contractor is Custom Appliance Installers (if I heard Sears correctly) they would have the skills to do what is necessary to install range hoods, cooktops, ranges, disposers, dishwashers, etc. which would mean skills including simple electric work, simple plumbing (like for hooking up a dishwasher or icemaker), simple gas piping, and some basic handyman & carpentry skills to get the job done. I don't think you'd want to hire a separate electrician, plumber, carpenter, and cabinetry person just to put in an under-counter dishwasher.

What is a "custom appliance installer" but a handyman specializing in this one area or at least they should be. They still need a combination of skills.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

DO you know from an actual measurement or a diagram in the manual that it is only 1/8" less? A lot of appliances of nominal 30" width, range from 27 to 29 1/2". Carpentry isn't a very precise craft, and when multiple elements come together as in a kitchen, usually they're pretty generous about the fitment.

Reply to
Nexus7

It may be that Sears won't pay them enough to do the extra work or they have some policy (as a Sears sub contractor) that does not allow them to price a job when on site. It can also be that some of these seemingly simple jobs turn into nightmares once underway. Who is liable if they put a mounting screw through a pipe or wire?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They have a contract with sears, just like the other guy said. The people who are doing the installs are probably the boobs, the newbies, the idiots because it's supposed to be the easiest stuff. You don't even want these guys moving the door from the right to left side of the fridge.

You made it a special case for them. They won't take special cases.

Reply to
Brent P

ohhhhhh.....

that's kinda f***ed up

Reply to
kenji

in·com·pe·tent

2 : inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose 3 a : lacking the qualities needed for effective action b : unable to function properly

Facts only:

I purchased a range hood for my mom from sears.com (local store pickup). It was to replace a defective old unit (same nominal size, duct and wiring already there).

I phoned Sears to arrange installation. They said this would be accomplished by their preferred contractor, a company called (I think) Custom Appliance Installers. I believe they are out of Orland Park, IL.

The contractor called and my mom told them it's possible that the adjacent cabinet might have to get moved over an eighth of an inch or some tiles cut to clear the different side dimensions of the new unit. "We don't do that," she was told. Sears called back and left a message saying they were cancelling.

Moving a cabinet a half inch is just as much work as moving it across the room. I doubt you would find many appliance installers willing to do the cabinet work.

How to you trim installed tile on a wall? Again, I doubt you would find an appliance installer equiped to do that kind of job.

I can understand your frustration, wanting to help your mother and being some distance away and having to rely on unknown people to do a job. But, stop and rethink for a minute. Is it possible you are being a bit unreasonable in your expectations?

Reply to
Bob

:> > so yer senior citizen mom was there when they guys showed then left? :> > :> > there's the prob. :> :> No one ever came to look at it. They rejected the job sight unseen.

: ohhhhhh.....

: that's kinda f***ed up

I wish he would post a .jpg anyway, I re-read his explanation twice about why there could be a 1/8" problem and still don't get it.

With the above post, he must of told the sales drone at Sears that there could be a problem installing it and they wrote it on the ticket, which is how/why the installer rejected the job. Like others said, should of kept your mouth shut. At least they would of came out and you could of did an eye-to-eye with them.

Like others have also said, those guys just get a flat rate from businesses like Sears so anything more than a unbolt and rebolt, they are going to flip a coin to take on the job or not. If he explained to sears anything like what he's been posting about the problem, no wonder they were scared off.

One thing I get the feeling about with all of this is that you are expecting perfection with the install and I really doubt that is going to happen. Tile cutting/replacing, cabinet moving, that is all beyond the scope of just replacing the hood. I did my own kitchen remodel a couple years ago, everything from the dishwasher to overhead microwave and can tell you first hand, nothing is going to be moved 1/8" in any direction without getting into a major overhaul.

Again since I can't picture the problem you think there is, if you are worried about having a gap with the new hood or exposed tile where none was before, deal with it, there is going to be a gap or exposed tile.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Not really, the client called up about a vent-hood replacement, and started jabbering about fixing the tile and moving the adjoining cabinets, and they decided: "Screw that. I've got easier jobs waiting."

Reply to
Goedjn

Yeah, most carpenters are fairly _liberal_.

Reply to
sticks

In chi.general Scott en Aztl?n wrote: : Chicago Paddling-Fishing said in chi.general:

: >I'd go to your local catholic church mass on Saturday night or Sunday morning, : >on the back page of the bulletin are ads from community based businesses and : >there is usually at least one who does that sort of installation...

: Have you found that workmen who put the Pisces symbol in their ads : and/or who advertise in the back of the Order of Worship at the local : church are any more honest/fair/trustworthy/etc. than a random : selection from the yellow pages?

Those who advertise in the back are usually very local (live within a mile of where you live) and are pretty accessable. Also because they rely on word of mouth they strive to do a good job because they only cover the area you live in... Someone who covers a wide area can do a bad job for a long time before it catches up to them, someone who covers a very small area won't be in business long if they do poor work...

I found the guy who did our garage roof in the bulletin and I still don't understand how he was able to reroof a 22x22 garage (no tear off) for $250 and make a profit...

He has since moved to vegas, but I had him do a few other jobs for me afterwards... he did siding for someone I knew down the street and he didn't like how part of it turned out (as far as I know, she didn't complain and I didn't notice what he was complaining about either) so he ripped it off and redid at at no charge to her saying he drives by it every day and he didn't want people to think he did bad work... you want to find a handyman who just happens to be a perfectionist as well...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

First, let's assume everything you stated was correct. Even so, it's only half the story. Why did they need to enlarge the install space? Was that by the manufacturer's instructions?

This is what I'm guessing, the vendor gets a flat rate. So performing the work in as little time possible means there is a greater chance for profit, and a larger one. So they don't want to do extra work, so they will only do what they have to.

tom @

Tom The Great

Steve Kraus wrote in news:3UCph.9911$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yes, these are the skills they have.

Nope. They do one job. Like I said already, Sears hires a company based on their price per unit. There's no extras built in to the price, and since they are probably less skilled, you shouldn't expect much.

Reply to
Eric

I'd love to find out on what basis they chose to call themselves "**CUSTOM** Appliance Installers."

Reply to
Steve Kraus

BTW, I did the job myself yesterday.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

and how many wall tiles did you have to remove?

Reply to
barbie gee
:

I agree with those that say that Sears, to their credit, had the good sense to understand what their contractors are capable of doing and what they cannot do. Installing a range hood in a std space is one thing. Moving cabinets, even an 1/8", unless it happens to be the last one and there is room next to it is a whole different thing. And even worse, is cutting some tiles that are cemented to brick as part of a kitchen backsplash. You should be happy they didn't send some guy who tried to do it and screwed the whole thing up, which is what they probably know from experience can happen.

As for the details of the install, I can understand the issue with the existing tile being cut in around the old unit. But the requirement I see is that you need a hood that is slightly bigger than the old one so that it covers up all the area in back that doesn't have tile. It sounds like the new one is indeed bigger, but you want the excess tile cut away so the hood will go back an additional 3/8" like the old one. Why is that necessary? Usually the front back dimension is not critical and trying to get tile that is cemented to a brick wall cut and off without damaging the remaining tile doesn't sound like an typical install issue to me, nor something I would want to do.

I still don't understand the need to move the cabinet because of the tile though. If the old one was the same nominal as the new one, it should just go straight in, no?

Reply to
trader4

Steve Kraus wrote in news:dNZqh.11455 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I'm sure they may do it if you hired them directly, but they contract with Sears to install range hoods for a certain price, there is no room for custom work.

Reply to
Eric