Sears incompetence

Sears took down my CC number and said the charge would be, I believe, $149- something. I would expect that would be a basic charge and would have increased for anything beyond beyond a simple bolt-it-up hookup. I would not have expected that price to hold.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Don't go to Yellow Pages. Talk with real estate agents, or even better, a real estate management firm, in your mom's area and ask who they use.

Reply to
# Fred #

so yer senior citizen mom was there when they guys showed then left?

there's the prob.

Reply to
kenji

they'd use a hnadyman or a carpenter

Reply to
kenji

Not right now.

There is still a "housing boom" going on. It's just starting to lose steam but there is plenty of work still out there.

We have a LOT of government jobs here so we just don't "feel the pain" of you folks who live in the real world.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Actually I shopped a variety of stores, both specialized, and general, looking for the hood. My criteria was it should be stainless steel, 36" wide, 7-8 or whatever "thick" (not one that goes way way up to the ceiling), compatible with a rear exhaust duct (10" wide or whatever the standard is; sorry I don't have all the specs here) and I preferred the controls for fan and lights on the front as the old Nutone unit was. I didn't want bottom of the barrel junk but not super expensive either. Some Nutone/Broan units fit the bill. I selected the Kenmore ELITE model, which is made by Nutone/Broan, because while similar in outward appearance I preferred how, when looking up from under it, all you see are the two large metal mesh filter panels (which pop off for washing) taking up the entire area except the lip where the two lamps are. I liked that better than designs with various nooks and crannies that would probably be difficult to keep clean. Price was a bit over $300.

I would have installed it myself but decided maybe it was better to get a pro to deal with the issues involved. I had no idea the pro invoked by the seller can only handle the simplest jobs. If it had been that simple I would indeed have done it myself in the first place. As for why call Sears for installation, well it's only natural since they are the seller of the product.

At this time we are deciding whether I should just do it myself after all, or return it to Sears since they are unable to install their own item.

Wow...a range hood being installed where one was just removed. Same size and same make even. It's not like I was asking them to install it atop a

50' chimney.
Reply to
Steve Kraus

All appliances have installation instructions, including the space requirement. I learned the hard way when we bought a new wall oven :o)

Since the contract called for installing a hood (relatively easy), it is a rather large "oops". I would not expect the installer to do a freebie of major proportions.

We had "Sears" redo our kitchen - new doors/drawers on cab., reface cab., new countertops, install new sink. I would not have chosen Sears, as it was hubby's choice. The carpenter (sub) was total professional, did great work, and came back twice for minor adjustments. The plumber who installed and hooked up the sink was a total jerk, who tried to bluff us into believing the sink should be held down only with silicone caulk. Even I know better :o) Never have contractors work late on a Friday :o) When we called Sears back for the adjustments, there was no hesitation - scheduled and returned quickly.

We had floor tile installed by a small, local contractor. His crew was top-notch - two young guys who moonlight for HD. They were very skilled, knew all the tricks to make adjustment for significant issues, and we could not have been more pleased. He had a separate crew who undercut baseboards to allow for tile; no half-assed newbies or guys working outside of their skill area.

I would start over and make the right deal with someone who is contracted to do what needs to be done.

Reply to
Norminn

The hoods I've installed before, the new ones fits into the old space without any side-to-side play.

Ok, I'm checking another house now and the hood is indeed about 3/16" off at one of the corners. Nothing is level nor plumb - track house where everything were slapped together in a hurry. Sloppy installation but I never notice it until now.

Reply to
# Fred #

Steve Kraus wrote in news:Xns98B578E508D03screenSPAMBLOCKfilmt@207.217.125.201:

Sears (and other large stores) contract with a company for a set price to do a set job. There isn't room for custom work in this arrangement. I get from your original statement that they didn't even come out to the house, which is understandable. They contract with the store at a low price based on volume, so driving to your house cuts into any profit. You may have done better if you didn't reveal the extra work required on the phone, and the installer may have made the hood fit to get paid for your job.

Anyway, an appliance installer is not going to want to move your cabinet. That is outside the scope of what they do. The contractors hired by the big chains are not paid as well as contractors that work for smaller, specialty stores. The guy that advised you to contact a small kitchen remodeler is right. Otherwise, you would need to contact the installer directly and arrange to pay them directly for the work to get additional work done.

You're also changing your story here. First you said they may have to move a cabinet 1/8", and now you're saying "same size and make even". These are two very different stories.

Reply to
Eric

I'm still not understanding the initial problem all that well. Can you post some pictures? Did you buy a new range hood that was the same size as the old one or not? And if so what's the problem?

Reply to
scott21230

How many locally owned kitchen dealers would you estimate you have there?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

: > When shopping for things that have to be installed, ***always*** shop the : > small, locally owned businesses.

: OK...what do I look for in the Yellow Pages to find a local guy who : installs a kitchen range hood?

I'd go to your local catholic church mass on Saturday night or Sunday morning, on the back page of the bulletin are ads from community based businesses and there is usually at least one who does that sort of installation...

If it were my folks, I'd buy it from someplace where installation is part of the deal or I'd do it myself... Now you have the problem of owning the part and trying to get someone else to install it...

Might just return it telling Sears you bought it from them expecting them to install it and then buy it from a place that will install it...

We bought our new washer/dryer from Sears (we go thru them sorta often here), they set it in the spot and removed the old washer/dryer, but refused to do the gas hookup claiming they don't do that anymore for insurance reasons... I was disappointed and it seems to me in the past they did (might be because of ownership changes) and we haven't bought from them again... when we bought the new oven from BestBuy that was our first question, will they do the entire install and they said yes (and they did...)

An eighth of a inch isn't that much... those vent panels punch out and I would think since metal is cutable and bendable that the stack included would be plyable enough to make that sort of change (we replaced ours, and it's not that hard, i mean, your not running new vents to the roof or wall...)

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

If sears was hiring me to install a vent-hood, I'd probably balk at moving cabinets and doing tile-work, too. Especially the tile-work which involves a completely different set of skills and tools.

Would you rather they guy had shown up, and used a 5# sledge to make a hole big enough? Maybe take some tinsnips and trim the new vent hood?

Reply to
Goedjn

"kenji" wrote

This is the first time, that I heard someone actually bought an appliance from BB.

Reply to
Ralph Miller

Not too different than anywhere else. I bought a washing machine from them. What I liked was that I picked one out paid for it and whipped it into my van all in less than 20 minutes. That's how I like to shop.

Reply to
kenji

Chicago Paddling-Fishing said in chi.general:

Have you found that workmen who put the Pisces symbol in their ads and/or who advertise in the back of the Order of Worship at the local church are any more honest/fair/trustworthy/etc. than a random selection from the yellow pages?

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

When I bought mine from Best Buy I was assured I would get a Best Buy installer and not a sub-contractor. I was very clear up front that I wanted a Best Buy employee. If they didn't have their own installers I'd pay the extra $75 and buy from a local appliance center. They showed up in an unmarked van, both were in filthy plain t-shirts and jeans a since my new washer was not hardwired they whacked me for $85 to install an unprotected non-GFI outlet directly under a faucet. Best Buy had no interest in correcting this after the fact. Nor did they care that my salesperson flat-out lied to me about who would be coming to my house. Not to sound like an asshole to any subs out there but if I am to have someone in my house I want to know who they are and have a choice. This has been my policy since some similar 'no name' subs installed my Directtv several years ago, saw a motorcycle helmet and chatted with me about bikes for a bit about a week before my bike dissapeared from my garage. It may have been a coincidence but better safe than sorry.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

generally the guys in our parishes weekly bulletin are all reliable and have been advertising for a long time and are seen around the parish and church, which means more credibility.

Reply to
kenji

I have not changed any story. Both the old unit and new one are 36" models. (They come in 30", 36", sometimes in 42") That is what they are called. The actual measurement of the new unit, as I recall it, is about

1/8" under presumably to allow fitting into a 36" space. The space, from brickwork of the oven stack to the left to the cabinet on the right is a bit over 36".

I tend to call 36" the nominal dimension but that may imply it's an average and surely they are all precisely undersized the same amount. Maybe it should be called the rough dimension for the space it's going into.

The reason it can't just go right in is that the area to left of the cooktop (and behind it and around the sink etc.) was tiled with a tile that is maybe 3/8" thick and this tiling goes right up to exactly where the old range hood was. The tiler cut the tile to fill the space exactly so now with the old hood down there is an area open (untiled) that exactly matches the left side profile of the old hood.

If the side profiles of both hoods were the same it would go right in although there might still be a need to temporarily move the cabinet to the right to get into position since tiles to the front would block sliding it straight back from the front. Maybe one could angle it into that space first on the left and then bringing up the right. A moot point because the side profile is not in fact the same.

If the tiles were cut and removed to get back down to the brick for an area matching the side profile of the new hood then it will fit ok just as the old one did. If the cabinet is moved to get the range hood into place then it would then go back where it was.

OR

If one has to mess with the cabinet anyway it could be remounted about a half inch farther to the right in which case the range hood could mounted with the tiles left as is and hood left side just touching them. In other words the hood would be mounted one tile thickness farther to the right than the old one was. This offset is a bit more than the tiny excess of space created by the fact that the hood is a hair under 36" and the overall space is bit more than 36".

The length of the explanation makes it seem more complex than it is.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Doesn't matter, it's clearly too complicated for a sears installer. They did you a favor by not doing it. They would have messed the whole thing up big time if you had them try.

Hanging a hood is no big deal. You seem to know all the details, why not just do it yourself?

Reply to
Brent P