Fact or Fiction - LEDs donÂ’t produce heat

We report, you decide.

Spalted Walt

Ok, So it seems that LEDS waste about 70% of the energy that they consume and that energy becomes heat.

Unless they are IR LEDs

In so much that the typical LED, and all of the ones I have purchased, use

10% or much less energy than a comparable incandescent light I have not witnessed any heat at all. My sampling has included 3-4 ribbons of LEDs, multiple strings of LED Christmas lights all plugged into each other, and a couple of out door 60 watt incandescent coach lights replaced with equivalency light out put LED bulbs. The biggest consumers of electricity of this sampling is 7 watts and even those might only be producing about 1/3 the amount of heat of a typical 7 watt incandescent light bulb.

Show me a single LED that consumed 180 watts by itself and I think it, the LED itself and not the transformer or other involved electronics, will get hot enough to equal a common 60 watt incandescent light bulb.

Reply to
Leon

You will need more sensitve equipment than your fingers to actually measure the heat produced. If you wanted to argue about it someone could, but not me.

Reply to
Markem

100 watt LED gets VERY hot, very quickly.

Spalted Walt

Well, I just checked an 60 W equivalent LED in the kitchen and it gets warm around the base. However, when I found a 60 W incandescent it didn't take but about a minute to get too hot to touch. Checking the card a replacement in the drawer is on it says that the 60 W equivalent LED uses 9.5 W. So the answer to the original question, whether LEDs produce heat, is yes. But they produce much less heat than incandescents. I don't expect that a small LED would produce enough heat to be easily detectable by hand.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

LOL.. which is why I mentioned that If my fingers feel no heat at all there for the most part the LEDs that I have used produce no appreciable heat.

I measure heat this way. I feel nothing, I feel a little warmth, I feel something hot that I don't want to touch.

The 7 watt single bulbs get a little warm where the ballast/transformer is located near the screw in base but the bulb itself only gets warm when the sun shines on it. I leave these lights on 24/7 also.

Reply to
Leon

Well even a blind hog.....LOL

Reply to
Leon

I think a detailed spreadsheet is in order...any volunteers? :)

Reply to
bnwelch

So does a 60 watt incandescent blub. LEDs with equivalent light output of common home incandescent lights do not.

Reply to
Leon

Well, I can tell you a 60 watt LED array produces enough (radiant) heat that you can feel it 5 feet away. (LED aircraft landing / taxi lighting). 10 WATTS PRODUCES ABOUT 30000 CANDELLA AND 1000 LUMENS.

So imagine 60 watts!!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

Not surprising considering an A19 60W equiv LED consumes 8 - 9.5W and produces no IR.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Another 100W LED 'blind hog' dealing with the heat:

Spalted Walt

I have got to imagine voltage plays a large part. My 16' string uses about 48 watts, 12 volt to light up over 500 3528 LEDs. No heat when off the real.

Reply to
Leon

Exploding LED lights

When bread boarding LED's I have burnt my fingers more than once on an over driven LED, the bulbs can take more than the ribbon stuff does.

Just thought I'd throw this into the conversation.

Reply to
OFWW

The worst LED bulbs I have used were the C9 replacement for night lights. It melted the plastic fixture, so they went in file 13.

Reply to
Markem

Understood but none of the mega LEDs are anywhere near a home lighting fixture.

Reply to
Leon

they produce heat

will they get to 451 farenheit is what wood workers wanna know

what do the data sheets say at digikey

Reply to
Electric Comet

I agree 100%.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Spalted Walt

No, but they don't have to get even close to that hot, to burn your house down.

Reply to
krw