Re: Longshot enquiry - 'Red Deer Brand' wooden floor (2023 Update)

Hi Alasdair,

I know this was posted back in 2002, another long shot. But I have some of this wood, Beverley UK. It was taken up from an old squash court. I was doing research to find out what type of wood it is? Did you ever find out and are you still looking for any replacement pieces?

I might be able to help you if you are.

Best regards,

Matt

Reply to
mattturnbull1

Hi,

> > I have my doubts whether this will work, but thought it worth a shot ... > > I am looking to restore a wooden floor in my dining room which has long b een > covered by wall to wall carpet. > > The house was built in 1941-2, by the UK Admiralty and the flooring I thi nk > dates from that time: it is made of 2.25" tongue and groove flooring whic h > on lifting reveals a stamped branding along the undersides: "Red Deer > Brand - Made in Canada". Given that the house is in Scotland I guess only > the Admiralty would have been sourcing wood floors from Canada in 1941 - or > of course the floor may have been installed at a later date, but then why > import flooring when the whole surrounding countryside is stocked with > forest? > > Anyway, my question is: I need to repair and replace some of the less > sightly access holes etc that have been cut in the floor over the years - > can anyone offer me any advice on what kind of wood it is likely to be (i s > the Red Deer brand well known in Canada? Does it derive from Red Deer > Alberta?) - or how best to go about seeking a source for matching the woo d > to effect my repair/replaceement. > > As I said, a longshot I think - but any assistance gratefully received. > > Cheers, > > Alasdair Bovaird > > (Remove XNOXSPAMX for genuine e-mail reply)

from London Ont Canada - just tore up some flooring in an attic that had a label on it 'Red Deer Brand' Muskoka Flooring Manufacturer Huntsville ON' perhaps this is the same? seems the same dimensions.....at any rate it is very old. believe the house to be a century home or very close to it......

Reply to
kjkoegler

The post you responded to was almost from the last century...

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

do you happen to still have the red deer flooring? Im in sudbury and need to repair a patch of flooring. My hose was built in 1949 with this stuff, and I believe it is Birch.

Thank you,

Reply to
duo46ca

Sorry - we just sold the last piece - to that neighbour of yours - you know the one. the guy with the truck. I think his name was Gary .. or maybe Doug something or 'nuther. :-)

Reply to
hubops

dang. is he gonna resell or use himself, i wnder?

Reply to
duo46ca

a label on it 'Red Deer Brand' Muskoka Flooring Manufacturer Huntsville ON' perhaps this is the same? seems the same dimensions.....at any rate it i s very old. believe the house to be a century home or very close to it..... .

also, were tey about 1 3/4 wide? and fairly certain the wood was birch at t hat time as I saw an advert from 1925 and it said red deer brand birch wood . anyhoot, thats for the post - I am looking for others who lifted old floo r from an old house!

Reply to
duo46ca

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:290f0d72-c19d-4787-8624- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

LOL. I think hubops is pulling your leg.

You might try emailing kjkoegler, I don't recognize that name as a regular in this group and he may not see your enquiry here.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I have just lifted a Muskoka Red Deer floor, maple I think, about 30 years old. A very sad decision, but I wanted to cure a damp problem below. Each board is about 2 m long, 58 mm wide and 21 mm thick. There are a lot of nails in them and the boards are not all intact, but there are lots of them, approx 50 m2. Anyone interested?

Henry Webb Aberdeen

Reply to
Henry Webb

Hi Henry, long shot.... but I am looking for some muskoka red deer maple planks... just want to replace/repair an existing one before a sanding and oiling, if anyone has it would be fab

Reply to
Laurent M

I am doing some reno in Toronto in our condo (built in 88) and found this exact flooring below it. We have 100 sqft of it (90 completely reusable with the grooves intact) and the rest has a bit of damage because I couldn't take it out without breaking a few tongues and/or grooves).

I know I'm 9 months late but still need it?

Reply to
Stephane Barichello

Hi Matt.

If available, I’d be interested in this flooring, I need some replacement Panels for my floor.

Anand

Reply to
Anand