Sch 80 threads in sch 40 fittings.

Has anyone else had problems with leaks when you screw a Sch 80 PVC into a sch 40 (white) fitting? It doesn't seem to matter no tape, the right amount of tape or a shit load of tape, they leak. You can run them up until there no threads left and they still leak. I am not sure if this is a vendor problem or just something that happens. I am gluing them now.

Reply to
gfretwell

Agree w/ fretwell; one or the other is wrong; by spec they should be fine (other than the fittings aren't rated for service, but presuming the leak test isn't above their ratings mechanical fit should be same).

Probably cheap import QA of one or the other; no way to guess which w/o trying another supply of one or the other.

It's never wise to use a female Sch 40 fitting on a male Sch 80 pipe end; other way round is safer altho still the fitting itself isn't rated.

Unless, of course, there's really no need for the Sch 80 at all in the specific service other than perhaps just have on hand; the pressure rating will never be approached.

Reply to
dpb

I just had it happen 3 times in a row with different fittings. Maybe the Sch80 stuff is just a little small or something. It is a different vendor than the Sch40. I am not having the problem with brass and PVC. Even the cheap stuff they sell in the lawn sprinkler aisle works better than the Sch80.

Reply to
gfretwell

This was just the classic, "what they stock locally" and with this virus thing I didn't want to be driving all over town. Ace will pick and give it to you in your car, prepaid online. I really only needed one threaded fitting in the line and I still ended up with one I didn't have to glue but it did seem strange that this failed on 3 different joints in 2 sizes (3/4 and 1/2)

Reply to
gfretwell

As I said in the other note, things being what they are, I am not driving all over town looking for a better source.

Reply to
gfretwell

Chinese?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Probably.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why not? It's just the flu and we shouldn't shut down the economy, that's what you said here. Sounds like reality is setting in. But I have to say, you were partly right about Spring Break, with young adults on the beach. I didn't realize both college kids and your state govt were so irresponsible. I think many of those areas with beaches open had bars and clubs, etc closed, I guess that's better than nothing.

Reply to
trader_4

You are just trolling now. I said a week ago I am following the rules, probably better than you.

BTW these college kids are from the north for the most part and "going home" is not that easy for them since their tickets are for next week.

Reply to
gfretwell